Would you rather get boxes or bags of coins?

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when I search pennies or nickels I ask the bank to buy the bag from their counting machine. One bank I buy from will only sell "full bags" the other bank I buy from will sell me the bag on the machine no matter what amount is in there.......that one is a wells fargo bank

if your looking for wheats and coppers (pre 82) the bag is the way to go!

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on your local and availability of bags.

In some areas, bags will be far better while in others boxes will be. Personally, I prefer bags for a few reasons.

A) less trash (roll wrappers/boxes)
B) less time needed as I don't have to open the rolls
C) if someone turns in a collection, you will probably get the whole thing or most of it (even across denominations)...with boxes you will probably only get part of it and only of the one denomination.
D) you get more foreign coins/objects which put the "what will you find?" factor much higher
E) If the bank will sell you bags, you can usually get them in bulk whereas some banks are frugal with selling boxes (therefore less driving to pick up coins)

On the negative side, bags tend to be a few coins short on average

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Bags and handrolls are preferable in my opinion.

Not enough silver out there anymore to make boxes worth it as much as the handrolls. With handrolls and bags you still get the occasional silver from normal circulation, but you also have the shot to nab the mother load, because the mother load dump hasn't been put in a sorter or hopper of any sort, so you get all of it instead of like 1 40-% half per box because that is all that made it through the hopper. :P

Not enough being dumped into the hoppers these days...

~Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread