• 2 fed box.jpg
    2 fed box.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 550
Upvote 0

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
looks like brinks rolls in a fed box , the rolls look searched and the fed box is not CWI dated.......how'd I do

Mojo

OP
OP
C

CLZinTX

Oct 1, 2007
Mojo you are 100% correct! All are Brinks rolls, all have been gone thru, and they put them back into a Fed box and even sealed it with hot glue.

I have not gone thru them yet, but going to count them and make sure if they removed anything they replaced them.

Good Eyes!

P.S. That coin is nothing special, must be the lights.

Take care all!

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Upon closer inspection it looks like a shwdow from the torn paper roll.

That sucks man. tough break. I don't think you'll get much sympaty from your source bank though. I always crack the box before I leave the bank. Once you leave the burden is all on you.

I have gotten so many shorted rolls out of my local fed box distributer as many as 10 to 12 rolls have been short 1 -2 coins recently, and the bank says the only way they would reimburse me for the shortage is if I open and show them the short rolls while still in their bank.

I literally must pick out the rolls that i suspect are short and we open them togeather. they than correct the shortage.

What a pian in the ..... for all involved.

Mojo

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
When rolls are short it is OBVIOUS, so it isn't TOO much a pain in my opinion to check em quick at the bank. Then again, it could be a bit of a pain in the double stacked Brinks boxes compared to the one layer CWI's.

I hope none of your rolls are short in that picture, and tough break on them having been searched. I've gotten rolls with the ends uncrimped from a brinks box that was sealed and right off the truck though...

It just seems weird that someone would go to all that trouble... it is a PAIN to uncrimp those then slide the coins back into the same rip and tear wrapper. And to do that to an ENTIRE BOX! And why not put them back into the brinks box... why use a CWI? And glueing it shut!?!

I've gotten CWI boxes from the banks that were opened and full or partially full and were dumped by a CRH'er. Never one that was sealed and a dump though...

It almost like someone you know pranked you... or a fellow CRH did it INTENTIALLY to bug YOU or another CRH'er. No way they do this with all the boxes they search... TOTAL waste of time.

And why would the bank just accept a box from a customer that is GLUED shut? They don't even check them!?

Give me the addy of this bank so I can bring them boxes glud shut that are full of chunks of lead. Will only work once but I can get an easy grand or two out of it! =)

~Dave

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't look to me like someone went through them already; those types of rolls are really hard to open carefully. It does however, look like the box got wet, rough handled and dried, which may have in effect crushed those beautifully roll-crimped ends a bit.

My job in real life, I'm a radio guy in the Army and often times we'd get our disposable batteries (BA-5590s) in boxes like that - water stains on the outside albeit currently dry and the inner boxes smashed up considering they're packed in plastic wrappers too.

Looking at your box of coinage I instantly thought of those episodes. To me, it simply looks like there was not much effort to store them well, box got wet, was rough handled - tossed/dropped et al and dried like that.

Keep in mind too, Ike just rolled through TX and was still a strong, wet weather system up through the mid-west - not sure where you're at, but it's a consideration if it applies, IMO.

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P.S.

Water damage would cause the glue on the box to get all dorked up and water damage might also soak out ink stamps and what-not, too.

Not trying to be a part of the 'conspiracy' - just trying to play Devil's advocate!

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
CLZinTX said:
Mojo you are 100% correct! All are Brinks rolls, all have been gone thru, and they put them back into a Fed box and even sealed it with hot glue.

I have not gone thru them yet, but going to count them and make sure if they removed anything they replaced them.

Good Eyes!

P.S. That coin is nothing special, must be the lights.

Take care all!

Not uncommon here in Houston for Brinks rolls- I wish they would mark the rolls after a search so the handlers would be forced to reroll.
Look for small numbers on the sides indicating the number of keepers they replaced. This a-hole has been doing that for about a year now.

OP
OP
C

CLZinTX

Oct 1, 2007
OK, Went thru the box and it appears to be only one short, and I might have dropped one or gotten one mixed up so I am happy with the count.

all of the rolls had been gone thru, as everyone of them had one end unrolled and then they tried to roll them back.

They obviously came out of a brinks box as all were brinks rolled. The odd part is that they put them into a Fed box and glued it up.

Tim it is the first time that I have gotten a Fed box with Brinks rolls. Have gotten Brinks boxes that had Brinks rolls in them that had obviously been searched.

There were no indications on the sides that indicate they found anything.

As far as I am concerned, its just part of the game. We both know there are lots and lots of people in the Houston area going thru halves. Almost not worth doing anymore, but Im not a big fan of the other denominations.

We are constantly going back thru coins that we are others have searched, but we occasionally find a keeper or two.

Hey I got 10 of the gold plated coins a week or two ago. Going to donate them to one of the metal detecting clubs to use in one of the hunts next year. Might make it a little interesting for the participants.

Take care all,

CLZinTX

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't do CRH, but, I do go through about 90% that comes through our store (so I guess I do CRH) It is amazing what I find in the rolls - everything from pennies between the quarters, tokens, those electrical box knock-outs, etc..

I don't think the bank goes through them if they are wrapped by people and deposited.

B

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
mrs.oroblanco said:
I don't think the bank goes through them if they are wrapped by people and deposited.

B
They don't. That is how we find the good stuff. And sometiomes the bad.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Silver_Fox said:
mrs.oroblanco said:

B
They don't. That is how we find the good stuff. And sometiomes the bad.

Around here the tellers do go thru deposited hand rolls. Not saying they check for silver coins, but they "verify" them. I know this because back when I used to seek out hand rolls, I was told I could not have them until they were "verified" by a teller, and that I would have to come back the next day after that was done.
Many banks here make the depositor put some type of info like bank acct. on the roll in case they turn up short.

Jim

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, name and phone number is on the rolls - but, for the most part, we don't report short rolls - and I think the people know that.

B

Of course, I have found entire rolls of wheaties, and silver. The last one, 2 days ago, a 1959D dime. (so, it has its advantages)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread