Other
Re: I'm noticing a trend in my finds...

Well, my wife tells me that CRHing is weird and is not normal. AMC

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island

Yes that is common. Canadian cents are quite common in US change... though they are more common in certain areas than others. I'm in the northeast and I get a ton of them in my boxes.

~Dave

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

The trend in my finds is that they lack silver. Skunks are now the rule and good boxes are the exception. I will still continue like an addicted gambler though.

Jim

MrBling

Aug 12, 2008
North Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250

In Florida it's common to get Canadian pennies in your change at businesses
They are passed off by cheap Canadians who come to our state to escape the frigid weather and socialized medicine of their homeland

XX

Jan 11, 2008

No one wants to take a loss.

Until 1996, they were 98% copper. Then Copper plated Zinc until 1999. Thus meaning that very few coin counters are even capable of discerning these from US pennies.

Once a canadian penny is introduced into US circulation, it will continue until either it's thrown away, or someone returns it to Canada.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

XX said:
No one wants to take a loss.

Until 1996, they were 98% copper. Then Copper plated Zinc until 1999. Thus meaning that very few coin counters are even capable of discerning these from US pennies.

Once a canadian penny is introduced into US circulation, it will continue until either it's thrown away, or someone returns it to Canada.

Not long ago the Candian dollar was worth more than ours. I suspect that trend may continue. Some banks will exchange foreign currency for you I believe.

Jim

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island

Yes they will Jim, but I have yet to find a bank that will exchange CHANGE. They only deal in fiat around here.

~Dave

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

BBcardsRI said:
Yes they will Jim, but I have yet to find a bank that will exchange CHANGE. They only deal in fiat around here.

~Dave

That's too bad. I don't collect pennies so I never have to deal with this issue myself.

Jim

XX

Jan 11, 2008

BBcardsRI said:

~Dave

On top of that, they charge a fee coming AND going. You would need quite the premium for the canadian dollar before it becomes profitable to honestly exchange canadian for american (and vice versa).

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was thinking of selling all my Canadian change to someone north of the border at a discount, say $75 for $100 Canadian.

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Is it illegal to melt Canadian pennies like it is to melt US ones (up there, of course -- once they are here we can do whatever we want). Considering how much $25 to $50 of US coppers go for on ebay, these should be more. They can actually be used for scrap. Nickels would be the same way for those before they changed to nonnickel nickels.

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island

Good question... it was asked months ago when copper was high but we never got a definitive answer.

Any canadians on here handy with coin laws? =)

~Dave

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BBcardsRI said:
Good question... it was asked months ago when copper was high but we never got a definitive answer.

~Dave

I believe it would be legal to melt Canadian coins in the US as doesn't break any US laws and those are the only ones that would apply.
Similarly, I believe it is legal to melt US coins in Canada as it doesn't break any Canadian laws.

Now is it legal to melt Canadian coins in Canada....no idea.

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island

I think that was his initial question Gman.

And I would LOVE an answer to it. I'm quite curious if they took after us, or if we took after them, or if it is still legal there to mely coinage.

~Dave

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GMan00001 said:
BBcardsRI said:

~Dave

I believe it would be legal to melt Canadian coins in the US as doesn't break any US laws and those are the only ones that would apply.
Similarly, I believe it is legal to melt US coins in Canada as it doesn't break any Canadian laws.

Now is it legal to melt Canadian coins in Canada....no idea.

But I think it is also illegal to move large quantities of US pennies/nickels out of the US (put in place at same time as melt ban). To bad no one knows about the melting in Canada.

If I got alot of Canadian coins here, I guess I'd try to scrap/ebay them.

HH.

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island

Yea... its like $100 in coinage or something that is the maximum to transport over the border.

I ran across it somewhere but don't remember where.

~Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread