All Treasure Hunting

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should have waited for the acid test. Ring was stamped 18kt, but only tested 10kt. Lost $100. Buyers, always do your due diligence. I should know better, but figured I might make a few bucks. Nope. Wont be doing that again!!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't like that u got ripped, guess at least it's 10 k .
Did the OP , Do what-ever "Right Thing" He/She could?
Apologize At-least?

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems to me a partial refund is in order - OP ?

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, but I did not ask him to. I'm not placing blame on anyone but myself. I had a friend who is a professional gold buyer test it in front of me twice.
We did the 18 kt acid and it blew right through that, then the same with the 14kt. Finally, the line did not disintegrate at the 10 kt level.
I sold it to him instead of returning it because I just sold it after having it for a bit. Don't ever believe what a stamp tells you. People pull this all the time, but I let my guard down. Got burned on a silver stamp just recently as well. Having a bad month, but learning when to be suspicious and to test everything.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nope, stamps do not mean a thing unless perhaps purchased from a reputable, knowledgeable source.

Guess you can consider yourself lucky it wasn't EP or GF, that would have really sucked. I wonder if they obliterated the 10k mark, probably so.

Still think the OP should man up and do some ju$tice, or at least say something about it like, hey I didn't know !

OP
OP
duggr

duggr

May 4, 2006
Fort Madison Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a PM from a guy this morning about this sale. To be honest this is the first time I've heard about this since the sale of the ring.I sometimes
get PM's or reply's from my post and sometimes i don't thats why I have to check my notifications every day. Still never received any from Tnet
about the post that were posted later.
First off, I hope the buyer accepts my apology for what is clearly my fault as I should have had the ring tested prior to the sale. My friend
who I sold the ring for which I trust completely said the ring has been in his family for over 40 years and with a deep 18K stamp I guess we
both just took it for granted that it was really 18K. I'm not here to take advantage of anyone and have a Good feedback here and on other forums
as well as 100% positive on the bay. If the Gentleman who received the ring will pm me his Name and phone number I will contact him and
personally settle the matter myself. Again, My apologies to all !!

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My apologies to Doug. He is a very honorable man. I should have contacted him first to work things out but my intentions weren't to hold him
responsible. I take full credit for not checking further before buying. I was not even going to involve him, but I guess I did by posting what I did above.
Probably should have just made a separate post without putting it on here.
The intent I had was to warn folks that the internet is a place where you are buying things on trust.
You have to do your due diligence. I did ask if it was tested, but didn't get a response about that. Turns out it wasn't (my bad).
I went ahead with it anyway because of the stamp. Well, Doug got it from his friend who said it had been in his friend's family for years.
His friend, obviously believed the stamp as well. Whoever bought the ring originally, probably got burnt without ever even knowing it.
So, guess the moral of the story is buyer beware.

Doug and I have squared up. He is a very honest guy and should be trusted for anything else he lists on here.
His intentions were only good.

Had a great conversation with him and he is a good man at heart.
Thank you Doug (Duggr)!

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You both sound like some good people. Glad it all worked out!

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great it was settled fairly. Good job Duggr

The tip off that is was not 18K was:
In the picture it is not the color of 18K gold.
The stamp is put in at an angle, not in line with the shank by the original maker. It was stamped a later time by hand.

They sell these stamps in for all markings 10K, 14K, 18K, etc. You just take a hammer and stamp whatever you want.

3pc Jewelry Metal Punch Stamps 10k,14k,18k for Gold | eBay

The lesson is you can never trust the stamp. You must acid test first.
Hope this helps.
Gary from Oregon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread