May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd love your opinion on a Type Coin set

Hey everyone!

A local dealer here is selling this coin set. Here is a picture, and some details. They are asking $550 for it. I know THEY have to make money and all.. but do you think that is a real fair price for this collection? I'd LOVE to have it for the kids and such. What do you think?

20thTypeSet-Large.jpg

Cents: 1909 Indian Head (XF),1909 VDB Lincoln Wheat Cent (AU), 1909 Lincoln Wheat Cent(AU),1943 Lincoln Steeel Cent(BU), 1946 Lincoln Shell Case(BU), 1959 Lincoln Memorial Cent(BU),1982-S Lincoln Zinc Cent(Proof).

Nickels: 1883 Liberty Head Nickel(AU+), 1913 TY1 On Mound Buffalo Nickel(AU),1913 TY2 No Mound Buffalo Nickel(XF-AU), 1950-D Jefferson Nickel No Initial(BU),1945-P Jefferson Wartime Nickel(BU),1966 Jefferson FS Initial(BU)

Dimes: 1916 Liberty Head Dime(VF),1945 Mercury Dime(BU),1964 Roosevelt Silver Dime(Proof), 1965 Roosevelt Clad Dime(BU).

Quarters: 1909-D Liberty Head Quarter(F+),1917 TY1 Standing Exposed Liberty Quarter (AU-UNC),1927 Standing Covered Liberty quarter(XF),1964 Washington Silver quarter(Proof), 1966 Washington Clad(Proof),1976 Washington Bicentennial Quarter(Proof).

Half Dollars: 1898 Liberty Head Half(VF),1942 Walking Liberty Half (XF),1963 Ben Franklin Half(BU),1964 Kennedy 900 Silver Half(BU), 1970-SKennedy 400 Silver Half (Proof), 1974-S Kennedy Clad Half (Proof), 1976-S Kennedy Bicentennial (Proof).
Dollars: 1881 Morgan Dollar(BU),1922 Peace Dollar(BU),1973-S IKE silver Dollar(BU), 1973 Ike Clad Dollar(BU),1976-S Ike Bicentennial(Proof), 1979-S Susan B Anthony Dollar(Proof).

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I'd love your opinion on a Type Coin set

Others may disagree, but my hunch is that the set really isn't worth that price.  Now I know you didn't ask for advice--but if it were me, I would buy a nice condition semi-key date (one of the 1921 Mercs in a strong F or VF, or an AU or MS '31-S cent or 09-S Lincoln--perhaps even a solid VG or F 14-D... Maybe an 09-S IH... or even an attractive G-4 or VG-8 key date of some sort if you can find it for that money--whatever your $550 can afford.  An attractive MS F.E. Cent can be had for that kind of money too.  Nice quality keys and semi-keys from the Merc, IHP, and Lincoln sets will always be in demand--due to their popularity.  THOSE will be investment coins--not this. 

Best Wishes,

Buckles

OP
OP
Groovedymond

Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for your thoughts buckleboy!

You may be right.. it may be WAY too high priced to even consider. The money certainly would be better spent getting a rare coin for investment, but in this case, I was thinking having it more as a lesson to my children on the coins that are around.

As we all know, seeing these coins in books is one thing, but seeing them for real is something different.

I've brought my oldest with me detecting, and we've done some roll searching, and so far, we have found an Indian head, Buffalo nick, Merc Dimes and Wheaties. Every time we find something like that.. or something that is no longer in circulation, she's totally fascinated. I thought this coin type set would be neat for her to see all the different types in just the last 100 years.

Anyone's thoughts on that?

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So maybe buy her a Redbook (I used to sit for hours and look through mine as a kid), maybe also purchase a F.E. cent, V Nickel, Shield, and Barber or two for her--then spend the rest on a nice coin for an investment for her future. :)

Best of all three worlds.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

My 'two cents': If you're buying for yourself or as an investment for your kids, I'd go with BuckleBoy's suggestion: Don't buy this offering, buy key dates. If you're buying for your kids to learn about coins, I'd then buy all these coins separately in 'average' condition; sufficiently distinct to read everything. I'd then periodically 'salt' the area where you will MD. Imagine the thrill of your kids 'finding' these coins on every trip or two!! (We'll never tell.) Once the collection is complete, you, with your kids, will come up with a great way to display them; all at a fraction if this seller's price.
Don.......

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin

SWR said:
Buy a blank Type Coin set holder and "build" it with the kids. Priceless memories of time spent together.

Yep, doing that exact thing with my youngest son now (the latest additions posted in the contest section), he`s a bit young to fully understand it all now but when he gets older, we`ll have hours upon hours to look back at all the stuff we collected together. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread