OP
Arizona Bob

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
utah hunter said:
Nice set you have there. Are you planning on adding the $1 to your collection?

Not planning to add dollars to my coin sets because I have a silver dollar collection that is a separate project.

The first silver dollar I purchased was a 1799 beauty. I bought it at a (huge) coin show in Vegas when I was first learning about coin collecting. I later sent it to PCGS to have it graded and slabbed. It was returned to me in a body-bag- PCGS claimed it was "whizzed". I keep it as a touchstone of my fleeting trust with some coin vendors.

Attachments

• 1799.jpg
    1799.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 1,244

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
That sucks about the whizzed coin. Even coins show dealers aren't always up front. Selling cleaned coins on ebay if you are up front and say the coin was cleaned you still get a decent price if you list right and have good feedback. I have been pleasantly surprised more than once...Ryan

OP
OP
Arizona Bob

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
davest said:
what made you look in the back of a mirro in Germany? :icon_scratch:

I lived in Germany for three years... courtesy of Uncle Sam! My wife took a trip with the German/American/French Officer's Wives Club to Belgium to the "furniture barn". She bought several pieces of furniture, one of which was the mirror. As I was lugging the "beast" to a spot where she wanted it hung, I was examining it (for any problems) prior to hanging. In between the wood and the glass (in back), I noticed the top reeded rounded white-ish shape that looked suspiciously like the edge of a coin. Using my trusty Swiss knife, I carefully pried it out of the mirror. Now you know the whole story. Only God knows how it got there- or even why it was placed there. :thumbsup:

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice set! The quarter and half display my favorite design for both obverse and reverse for our coinage.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the coin was used as a shim ? all I can think of to hold the mirror in tight?

OP
OP
Arizona Bob

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
keverett said:
How long did it take you to complete the set?

I don't know. I'm sure I had all the coins for several years before deciding to arrange them in the set. I have a lot of ideas for different projects- I'm really lucky to actually finish one! :D

OP
OP
Arizona Bob

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
ivan salis said:

Your guess is as good as anyones.... A shim makes sense, but once you put the mirror on the wall, it's not like it's gonna be moving alot... unless some bed headboard is slamming into the wall every night? :icon_jokercolor:

OP
OP
Arizona Bob

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Heh! Finally... someone who "gets" my sense of humor! That is exactly what I was implying. :thumbsup:

Fr3nchy27

Mar 21, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 12-25
ivan salis said:

I have heard of coins being placed in old furniture like your mirror as a way to date it. I hope this helps. BTW, Great set and awesome dollar!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions