WHITES DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OOPS I FORGOT TO LIST THE PIC FOR TYPE 2 BUT ITS LISTED SORRY... DAVE

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Cool. I see this one but some of the others look just like a "plain" D. Guess you have to post a picture of the "standard" next to the error to really see the difference.

Bob

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
Shelf or machine doubling, not worth a premium. Sorry.

Happy Hunting!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Elvis,
Not trying to make you angry or hurt your feelings. Just stating the facts. There is a 1968s listed on Ken Potter's site, but this isn't it. Look at my avatar. That is what true doubling looks like. The doubling has to be on the same level as the rest of the design. Yours is like a shelf going away and down from the design. Some of you experts back me up on this! Not trying to criticise, just educate.

Happy Hunting!

Mercury dude

Mar 8, 2007
Ceres
Detector(s) used
Stold by my x bounty hunter IV & Fast tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
he is true, i have few

OP
OP
ELVISFAN

ELVISFAN

Apr 26, 2007
WEBB CITY MISSOURI
Detector(s) used
WHITES DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
had a buddy look at it he refered to it as strike doubling still worth more than a cent

Oct 2, 2008
HamburgAR
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 Old Folks Knowledge
Don't know about circulated coins, but with proof coins there are many listed on eBay as double dies that aren't as severe as the fine example in a previous posters avatar (heh, heh, heh). I would guess that one that is blatantly blurry would be worth more than one with just a little doubling visible, but they sell for a premium on ebay.
I've seen proof nickels that usually sell for 2 or 3 dollars, sell for 4 or 5 when they are listed as double dies.
I've been straining my eyes checking out my proof sets.

On a side note, found a guy that had 6 silver 1992 proof sets listed as run of the mill 1992 proof sets. Got all 6 and shipped for around 42 dollars. silvah!

hyperion

Jun 26, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX E Series
Machine doubling and ejection doubling are not true "doubled dies" yet they are confused constantly ... many times at the buyers expense. The difference in appearance has already been addressed here and apparently ignored. The key is that the doubling is in the die itself and not a result of the minting process (mechanical doubling). Examples of mechanical doubling are all over EBay and if you don't know the difference you will pay a premium for a coin that carries no premium.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread