strange Utah quarter UPDATE with pic

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
My wife called me tonight an said she found a Utah quarter thatwas all silver... I said is there a S mint mark she said No! there is a P.. I then tell her it can't be silver but she swears up an down that it has silver edges like 1964 an ealier coins.. She is in NJ cause her father passed away yesterday so I don't know when she'll be home... so sorry for no pics..just wondering if anyone knows if this could be a possible mint error coin..I'm doubting that a silver coin could be minted with a P.. just wondering what the pros think?

Update :Wife still up in NJ with her mom... She sent these pics cause I kept telling her it was impossible to have a P mint mark with a silver proof ..this looks silver to me..what do any of you coin experts think??

Attachments

• frontsilverquarter04.JPG
    frontsilverquarter04.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 990
  • sidesilverquarter04.JPG
    sidesilverquarter04.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 943

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
Re: strange Utah quarter

Might be a coin from one of the proof sets the US mint puts out. Wouldn't hurt to keep it.... ;D

OP
OP
creeper71

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

Zephyr said:
Might be a coin from one of the proof sets the US mint puts out. Wouldn't hurt to keep it.... ;D
but the silver proof sets have a mint mark S not a P ..this is what's confusng me!

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain

I can't imagine that error occuring, with no silver planchets ued in the Philidelphia mint. If it did happen, WOW.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
they only came in p and d....the link says nothing of them being made with an "s" mint mark"....found an Alaska one that looked like a proof but it is clad

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be plated. Many companies out there plate them and then use them in jewelry, etc.

OP
OP
creeper71

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
bnsfhobo said:
I always do the "scientific test" ----------drop it and listen to the difference
I haven't seen this coin yet, but over the phone I dropped a silver quarter an a clad quarter for the wife to hear without her know which one was which... she said that when she dropped the quarter it sounded like the silver quarter.. I told her not to drop it anymore til I see it cause she could make a ms60 something go to a au if she wasn't careful...

geo4472

Feb 19, 2007
paterson nj
Detector(s) used
discovery 2000 , ace 250 & x-terra 50
this is part of an article i read "This 2007 Utah State Quarter with silver clad finish is certified by ICG as PR70 Cameo." might be what the wife has

OP
OP
creeper71

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
geo4472 said:
this is part of an article i read "This 2007 Utah State Quarter with silver clad finish is certified by ICG as PR70 Cameo." might be what the wife has
Thanks do you have a place I can read that online? thanks for all your help!!!!

geo4472

Feb 19, 2007
paterson nj
Detector(s) used
discovery 2000 , ace 250 & x-terra 50
silver utah quarter ICG as PR70 Cameo

copy and paste the above to your search bar

hyperion

Jun 26, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX E Series
All 90% silver state quarters are proofs and were only minted in San Francisco. They also minted a clad proof. Buyers had the choice of silver or clad.

Denver and Philadelphia minted clad circulation coins and clad mint set coins. No silver quarters were produced there and no silver quarter planchets were on-hand. The only way for Philadelphia to produce a silver state quarter would be for a mint employee to illegally place a silver planchet in the hopper (btw illegal coinage will be confiscated by the U.S. Secret Service). For several years after the switch in 1964 from 90% silver to clad, there were incidences where an old planchet was stuck in the conveyor and would be struck with a date later than 1964. All of that piping has been replaced many years ago, so that is no longer a possibility.

I think you have a normally produced clad quarter that has been dipped in mercury. Definitely weigh the coin. A genuine 90% silver coin will weigh 6.3gr and a clad will weigh 5.7gr. You,ll need an accurate digital scale.

OP
OP
creeper71

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
hyperion said:
All 90% silver state quarters are proofs and were only minted in San Francisco. They also minted a clad proof. Buyers had the choice of silver or clad.

Denver and Philadelphia minted clad circulation coins and clad mint set coins. No silver quarters were produced there and no silver quarter planchets were on-hand. The only way for Philadelphia to produce a silver state quarter would be for a mint employee to illegally place a silver planchet in the hopper (btw illegal coinage will be confiscated by the U.S. Secret Service). For several years after the switch in 1964 from 90% silver to clad, there were incidences where an old planchet was stuck in the conveyor and would be struck with a date later than 1964. All of that piping has been replaced many years ago, so that is no longer a possibility.

I think you have a normally produced clad quarter that has been dipped in mercury. Definitely weigh the coin. A genuine 90% silver coin will weigh 6.3gr and a clad will weigh 5.7gr. You,ll need an accurate digital scale.
Even if it was dipped in Mercury would it still have a Mirror finsh like this quarter has? I weighed it a few weeks back it weighed around 5.8-5.9 don't remember exactly.... would this coin be considered Satin finish? Cameo? I'm confused of what this quarter really is.. it's not a reg quarter from a roll cause it has a Mirror Finish..thanks for all who help...

hyperion

Jun 26, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX E Series
creeper,

If you took another clad state quarter and gave it a mercury bath, it would look just like your coin. With the weight at 5.8 gr it is definitely clad underneath. Sorry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions