• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 308
  • Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 310

billyg5955

Aug 17, 2008
personally i think this is just a very spent penny. but it might have been a weak die. or it might be neither. just what i think. im no expert.

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
Might want to have that one checked out by a pro, the strong "19" with nothing after might fetch a premium. :wink:

(even if its die damage or struck through grease its a very unique example imho)

OP
OP
FunWithTreasure

FunWithTreasure

Oct 12, 2008
The thing that made me wonder as well was that the motto over lincolns head is also almost not there. On the back things are missing as well.. But the coin isnt worn down enough that the guy in the lincoln monument is still there. Thats why I thought it may be a error.

billyg5955

Aug 17, 2008
FunWithTreasure said:
The thing that made me wonder as well was that the motto over lincolns head is also almost not there. On the back things are missing as well.. But the coin isnt worn down enough that the guy in the lincoln monument is still there. Thats why I thought it may be a error.

That is what i felt it might be a weak die. the monument is pretty crisp, yet the lettering isnt there. doesnt make sense to me

Coinkid

Jul 11, 2006
Sarasota, FL
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
I think that you have a " Die adjustment strike " Check out this link...... http://minterrornews.com/priceguidedieadjstrike.html

I have found two in my life time. One Clad Rosie and a 2006 Kansas Quarter. The Dime sold for about $35 a few years ago. The Quarter sold for $47 two years ago.

VPR

I don't believe this coin is a die adjustment strike, due to the irregularity at which the weakness is spread over the coin. Rather, it appears to have been struck with dies filled with a rather large amount of gunk (technical term), and is probably worth $5-10 due to the extensiveness of the strike-through. Very cool!

-Paul

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
n_sandler4 said:
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
I think that you have a " Die adjustment strike " Check out this link...... http://minterrornews.com/priceguidedieadjstrike.html

I have found two in my life time. One Clad Rosie and a 2006 Kansas Quarter. The Dime sold for about $35 a few years ago. The Quarter sold for $47 two years ago.

VPR

I don't believe this coin is a die adjustment strike, due to the irregularity at which the weakness is spread over the coin. Rather, it appears to have been struck with dies filled with a rather large amount of gunk (technical term), and is probably worth $5-10 due to the extensiveness of the strike-through. Very cool!

-Paul

I agree with Paul ~ filled dies. These are less desirable than die adjustment strikes. Some filled die errors are minor and are more one the side of poor minting than a collectable error coin.

Still a cool find!

Here's the address to my error coin webpage ~
http://community.webtv.net/oddcoins/NeilMcElroyspagefor

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread