IKE Silver Dollar "no mint mark" found in cirrculation! Anybody know the value?

Reverend B*IKE*

Jan 11, 2009
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IKE Silver Dollar "no mint mark" found in cirrculation! Anybody know the value?

IKE 1971 Silver Clad Dollar "no mint mark" found in circulation! Anybody know the Value of a coin like this?
I weighed the coin against a Morgan and a Liberty and they all weigh the same 26/27 grams. All the other ikes weigh about 4/5 grams lighter.
I will try and post a picture but I almost passed it up when I did not see the mint mark?
Any help here? thanks
Does it come out of a broken proof set? I thought all the silver Clads were made in San Francisco?
And/Or had an S mark

Attachments

• 1971 silver ike no marksml.jpg
    1971 silver ike no marksml.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 3,187

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Re: IKE Silver Dollar "no mint mark" found in cirrculation! Anybody know the pri

55 Double DD said:
I will try and post a picture but I almost passed it up when I did not see the mint mark?
Any help here? thanks

Any minted in Philly don't have a mint mark.

OP
OP
Reverend B*IKE*

Reverend B*IKE*

Jan 11, 2009
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: IKE Silver Dollar "no mint mark" found in cirrculation! Anybody know the value?

I guess its just comes form a Proof set put in circulation? EH?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Re: IKE Silver Dollar "no mint mark" found in cirrculation! Anybody know the val

With the updated information that you provided, you should recheck your weights or recalibrate your scale. Silver-Clad Ikes should weigh: 24.59 grams
CuNi-Clad Ikes should weigh: 22.68 grams

The proof Ikes were in in Brown packs. The uncirculated silver clads were in Blue packs. Both were minted in San Fran.

OP
OP
Reverend B*IKE*

Reverend B*IKE*

Jan 11, 2009
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: IKE Silver Dollar "no mint mark" found in cirrculation! Anybody know the value?

The only scale I have is a kitchen scale that is not that accurate!
I will try and get a better reading at the coin store next week.
I am getting a constant between morgans libertys and this one!

Heavy Chevy

Jun 18, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and others

Hi gang,
According to my Red Book, the 1971 NMM Ike was only issued in copper-nickel clad.
In 1971 and 1972 the only 40% silver proofs were San Fran mint.

In 1973 and '74 there were both copper nickel and silver clad S mint proofs.

Those dated 1776-1976 also had both copper nickel and silver clad S mint proofs.

1977-78 S Proofs were all copper-nickel clad. No Silver.

It also states that there were some 1974 D and a few 1977 D minted in 40% silver in error !
Make sure look out for these !!
It doesn't mention their value.

Big Mike

OP
OP
Reverend B*IKE*

Reverend B*IKE*

Jan 11, 2009
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Heavy Chevy said:
Hi gang, According to my Red Book, the 1971 NMM Ike was only issued in copper-nickel clad.
In 1971 and 1972 the only 40% silver proofs were San Fran mint.
In 1973 and '74 there were both copper nickel and silver clad S mint proofs.
Those dated 1776-1976 also had both copper nickel and silver clad S mint proofs.
1977-78 S Proofs were all copper-nickel clad. No Silver.
It also states that there were some 1974 D and a few 1977 D minted in 40% silver in error !
Make sure look out for these !! It doesn't mention their value.
Big Mike
Big Mike I appreciate your results, I agree with your stats. BUT I really think this is a Solid Silver Clad I will be able to bring it to my coin club meeting next Tues, alot expert there! My coin shop guy told me there have been some fakes coated in silver. But the weight gave them away! Mine was dead equal to morgans and Peace liberty head!!! which make me sceptic? I am wondereing if all the one in mint sets were marked? if not then this is from one of those I guess?
I will let you know what they all have to say!

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500

what you have is a ike made in philly. any ike without a mint mark is made in philadelphia and according to the red book 47,799,000 were made that year. i cant remember when the mint started adding P to it's coins made in philly but if you want i can look in the red book and try and locate that information for you. that is why you will hear some of the older collectors refer to a coin as a 1971 "plain" meaning that it has no mint mark and it was minted in philly. sorry to bust your bubble but that is what you have, feel free to resarch it yourself. no minted ike in philly has a P mint mark.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread