Question for all of you in the "Gold Coin Club"....

JoeinMemphis

Apr 21, 2007
Oakland Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Minelab Excalibur II
Question for all of you in the "Gold Coin Club"....

I have been purchasing older coins lately to work up a good "old coin" pattern for my explorer, like what is shown in Andy's book, and it got me thinking. My question for you "Gold Coin Club" members is what denomination did you find, and what type of area was it found in? (Old farm house site, woods, older occupied home site etc.) This isn't a question as what to buy to add to the program, I can just run it wide open and dig everything repeatable, I am just curious as to what is the most commonly found gold coin. There were 19,534,693 one dollar coins minted in three varieties, but they are TINY and could present a detection problem due to their small size, conductivity, and possible depth. However, I would think there would be far more of these in the ground due to their smaller denomination. (People might have actually USED them, and LOST them due to their size etc) Larger gold coins would be easier targets to detect due to their size, but they might also be deeper due to their weight, and how many of them were actually USED in day to day life. Any thoughts??
HH Joe

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Question for all of you in the "Gold Coin Club"....

All good questions,that I had meant to ask.....I don't know...........But I am going to follow your thread to see if there are some good answers out there. H.H.

OP
OP
JoeinMemphis

JoeinMemphis

Apr 21, 2007
Oakland Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Minelab Excalibur II

I guess we are the only ones following it huh??

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.

I'm responding to you, Joe, on this subject for two reasons. 1. I really liked the Memphis area when I was there going to Naval Aviation Electronics School. 2. You're a Minelab Explorer user like me, although you have a later model than mine.

I'm not sure how much this will help you, but I'll give you some basic set-ups that I use on my Explorer II. Sounds Menu=FERROUS; Volume menu- Gain=6-7; Recovery Menu=FAST and DEEP; Iron Mask = -8 or-9.

This particular find was made at the foot of a large tree, just off a trail through the woods adjacent to a park/picnic area.

Here's a picture of the Smartfind Screen, showing where the target crosshairs came in:

eaglecache 001.JPG

Small jar in hole:

eaglecache 005.JPG

Jar out of hole:

eaglecache 004.JPG

Jar opened at home:

eaglecache 002.JPG

Two one-ounce gold American Eagles that were in the jar:

eaglecache 003.JPG

p.s. I don't use the digital screen, so I don't know the numbers for a find of this type. Also, the cap on the jar may have had some influence on where the target crosshairs came in on the Smartfind screen.

Bob

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008

Hey Bob, what was the cap made of?

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow! Bob that was some find. How did ever get the big grin off your face?

Ed D.

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II

following this thread as well (thinking about buying an SE pro)

Great find skierbob

have you done any tests with the coin out of the jar? just curious how it reads.

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah what he said

BobinSouthVA said:
following this thread as well (thinking about buying an SE pro)

Great find skierbob

have you done any tests with the coin out of the jar? just curious how it reads.
What DOES that gold coin ring in at on your machine (Thank You in Advance)

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.

I'm sorry, guys, but it seems that the metal cap on the jar must have had some influence on where the target crosshairs came in on the Smart Find screen. I've been air testing one of the American Eagles which I had mounted in a 14k bezel and chain. The other Eagle is in my safe deposit box at the bank with the rest of my gold. The target crosshairs most often come in along the top of the screen, sometimes at the spot where silver quarters come in and sometimes where a penny comes in. I'm testing it inside the house, so the machine is a little jittery. And I can't seem to get a decent picture of the Smart Find screen in the house.

Hope this answers your questions.

Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread