value of complete mercury dime collection?

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
refer to the red book and check the prices....you will have to know the condition of the coins though...good luck

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
S

scotty1418

Jan 21, 2009
It's a response to an ad I have running, so I just wanted to get some opinions - I'm not too familiar with mercurys.

the 16d is supposedly 'AG' and the 21s is good. Supposing the rest are in average-fine condition?

Scott

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using Grey sheet as a reference here are some totals.

Dealers Bid prices for 1916-1931 Mercury Dimes is about 590.00. That includes pricing a 1916D in AG at $400.00. The remaining 36 coins in the series are not individually listed (translation - They trade at whatever 90% silver is going for). So you have approximately 626.00 in G for the coins at dealers Bid price.

There is 1 key and 2 semi-key dates in the series as mentioned above. The 1916D, the 1921 and1921D.

1. You mention you have an ad running. I am guessing it is some sort of generic ad in a paper or craigslist offering to buy silver coins.

2. What is your plan? Are you buying coins as an investment? Are you looking to turn them over quickly and make a profit?

3. You mention you don't have very much experience with Mercury Dimes. Do you know how to tell if the 1916D is counterfeit? Do you know how to tell if the 1921 and 1921D are counterfeit?

4. Approximately 81% of the values I've listed are with 3 coins. If they are counterfeit, you've lost any profit potential.

5. The 1916D is one of the most frequently counterfeited US coins. The 1921 and 1921D are also counterfeited quite regularly. If you can't tell if they are genuine walk away.

I've been collecting and involved with this hobby for more than 40 years. I've seen many genuine and counterfeits of these 3 coins. Some are very well done and will fool most folks. For my money these days I wouldn't touch one of these, especially the 1916D unless it was slabbed by either PCGS, NGC or ANACS.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Allow me to bump this thread, as I scored a sweet deal today!!!
An antique shop had a complete set for $650... had to take a looksy!

Owner of shop and I talked about the collection, my loop shows the 16-D to be my guess graded around a AG 5, maybe a bit more, the 21, also low-end, Good 10 at most, but the 21-D solid VF to F... All other dates relatively clean and clear, the 1940's all AU, really sharp details. Man says to me, these are my personal collection, had since I was a kid...but I gotta part ways with them... I didn't ask why. Goes on to tell me he just put them in the case that morning, had a few guys look at them...I asked if I could discuss it with my wife, so he stepped away... Then I notice another fellow, about my age, very interested in me from afar, caught him looking at me twice...
Back to the coins, I ask if the price is negotiable, he says maybe.... then his wife chimes in, "we will take 20% off!"

I asked him if I pay by credit card, and the 3 coins prove to be not genuine, if I can get a refund...He says yes, but he also swears he's had these since he was a kid in the 50's...SOLD!!!

Walked out with the packed Dansco album for $520! For my next trick, I will combine those, and my own collection, keep the highest grades, get 3 key dates certified, and sell off the extras, along with rolls of junk silver, break even with the price, and keep the quality collection.
Sweet!:headbang:

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most likely a good deal if the keys are genuine, undamaged and depending on grade,[ no such animal as AG5 or G10!] Sometimes you are just in the right place at the right time!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea, I posted those approx. grades without doing the research.... I saw that, and slightly felt like a tool.:laughing7:
So, after further research, I conclude AG 3 for the 16 D, Good, and Fine for the 21 and 21-D
But like I said, they"re gonna get slabbed, so that the value/grades will be locked in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread