What would these coins grade?

stumpy041486

Jan 27, 2009
I am very new to coin collecting. I do not know alot about it. I have the opportunity to buy these coins, and I was wondering what you think they may grade? How much should I pay for these? They look they are in really good condition.

SilverDollars01FLarge.jpg

SilverDollars01RLarge.jpg

SilverDollars04FLarge.jpg

SilverDollars04RLarge.jpg

SilverDollars08FLarge.jpg

SilverDollars08RLarge.jpg

SilverDollars09FLarge.jpg

SilverDollars09RLarge.jpg

SilverDollars07FLarge.jpg

SilverDollars07RLarge.jpg

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure what they would grade at, but, the breast feathers are missing. Have they been cleaned? Are you buying them privately or from a dealer? Have you compared them to the redbook grading? That acne on no.8 looks strange, I haven't seen that before.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not a prof grader but took at shot and number 1 and number 4.
I think number 1 would grade probably EF-40....small pit in cheek Red Book price says $22...but the actual price from the redbook is usually a little less.

Number 4 looks to be in great shape. Probably AU grade and the Red Book on that one is $30. Another way to check on going prices is to check and see what those coins are going for on Ebay. Lately there has been very few deals on Silver on Ebay.

Those are just my opinions but great looking coins.

S

seger98

From the pictures they don't look cleaned to me.

Coin #1 Has those blemishes on the front, I'd still go AU for a grade & about $30.00

Coin #4 Has weak breast feathers, about the same grade of AU & about $30.00 maybe a bit more.

Coin #8 I would say VF around $18.00

Coin #9 same as above

Coin #7 I would say EF around $20-22.00

These are just the way I see them from the pictures, might be different in person & I would offer less if I was buying for resale.

JMO, Chris

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me most if not all look as if they have been heavily polished. This pretty much knocks them down to bullion value. Again, this is from the pictures which may be deceiving.

WheatbackDigger

Jul 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Based on these pictures, I would pass on these coins. Common dates, aggressively cleaned, not worth much over melt value. There are way better examples to purchase, pass on these

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The surfaces have no mint luster, which is present on mint state coins. They have an unnatural shine that a circulated coin would not have. On the most heavily cleaned examples the details are kind of blurred from the polishing. Kind of hard to describe, but they don't look "right". Also look around the lettering the surfaces close to the letters look different because the polishing did not reach into the small areas close to the letters.

hyperion

Jun 26, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX E Series
Quick and in no way complete tutorial on "cleaned" coins. Newly minted coins exhibit "mint luster" or frost. This is a by-product of striking metal under very high pressures. The metal usually flows from the middle of the planchet being struck to the outer edges. If held at an angle to a light source and rotated, you can see what's called "cartwheel effect". As the new coin is handled, rubbed against other objects, etc., the mint luster is the first thing to be removed starting at the highest points of the design. This is a natural process and results in brilliant uncirculated (BU) coins downgrading to almost uncirculate (AU) and so on. When someone attempts to "improve the look" of a coin ... that's cleaning. It can take the form of strong abrasion which leaves telltale scratch marks on the surface (see first photo). Coin doctors also "dip" coins in jewelry cleaner or commercial metal cleaners to remove unwanted toning or other surface distractants. Unfortunately dipping chemicals also remove the luster. If dipped numerous times, the surface appears clean, but dull.

Things to look for on a suspect cleaned coin: scratches on the surface that are parallel to each other or in a swirl pattern; a BU coin that is dull and non-reflective; A mirror-like shine on a coin that is uniform across the coin (mirrored fields and frosty devices is called cameo and is desired); obvious wear on high points, but mirror-like fields.

To get good at spotting cleaning takes practice. The second photo is a BU, unmolested coin.

Cleaned_CoinX.jpg
1898_Obv.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread