1804 Draped Bust

stumpy041486

Jan 27, 2009
I had a someone offer me these for sale. Are they fake or the real deal? I am assuming these are fake because isn't this like the most valuable coin.

IMG_1281.jpg

IMG_1284.jpg

IMG_1285.jpg

S

seger98

Well, being that their were only a handful of them minted, I wouldn't jump right into buying them, I would get them authenticated some how first, coin dealer would be the first place to maybe start!

Personally I would assume they would not be real. JMO

Chris

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost 100% certainty the 1804's are fake. Can't tell from the picture about the others.

Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found an online article about an original that sold for just under 4 million dollars. Here is a note about it:

1804 $1 Original PR62 NGC. It is currently not the most expensive American coin-merely the most famous. Heritage Auction Galleries takes enormous pride in its first public offering of a Class I Original 1804 silver dollar. Possessing a long and historic provenance that extends back to noted 19th century collector Joseph J. Mickley, this coin, graded PR62 by NGC, is one of eight Original Class I 1804 silver dollars known today. Of those eight coins, only five are in private collections, with the remainder in institutional holdings.

As you can see, it seems that all coins are accounted for.. so chance are.. they are a fake.. too bad though. Might be still a really neat pickup to add to a collection.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I read somewhere where the Chinese were counterfeiting them? Monty

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stumpy041486 said:
Thanks for confirming what I thought. What about the morgans? Do they appear real?

No, obvious reproductions. A real morgan is much sharper... even in pictures.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions