seger98

Good to Very Good, alittle rough on the obverse. JMO $450.00 - 475.00

hyperion

Jun 26, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX E Series
Cachefinder,

That's a sweet find. Unfortunately it's one of those "problem coins". If you sent it off for grading, PCGS and NGC would only offer a "genuine" certification without a specific grade. ANACS would probably give it a VG-8 details, Net G4 "Environmental Damage" certification. If any of the corrosion is "active" no one will slab it. Since it's a "key date/mint" you might consider sending it to NCS (Numismatic Conservation Service), a subsidiary of NGC. Please don't drop it in a tumbler ...

OP
OP
Cachefinder

Cachefinder

Dec 22, 2008
ARIZONA
Detector(s) used
lucky horseshoe
hyperion said:
Cachefinder,

That's a sweet find. Unfortunately it's one of those "problem coins". If you sent it off for grading, PCGS and NGC would only offer a "genuine" certification without a specific grade. ANACS would probably give it a VG-8 details, Net G4 "Environmental Damage" certification. If any of the corrosion is "active" no one will slab it. Since it's a "key date/mint" you might consider sending it to NCS (Numismatic Conservation Service), a subsidiary of NGC. Please don't drop it in a tumbler ...

hyperion

How can I tell if the corrosion is active? This coin was in a metal container with a bunch of dimes
How much would those different options that you stated above cost me??
Should I even send it out?

Sorry about these questions---I have never found a valuable coin

Thanks

Cachefinder-

hyperion

Jun 26, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX E Series
How can I tell if the corrosion is active?

Usually when you see that blue-green color it's active. The coin if stabilized may be worth around $300-350 for someone trying to fill a hole in their collection. Had the coin not corroded, it would probably be a VF example. There's lots of detail remaining.

The corrosive enemy of copper coins is verdigris, a form of oxidation. It's highly desired on copper sculptures, but not on coins. There is a product called "Verdi-gone" that the do-it-yourselfer can use to arrest the corrosion. You just need to avoid any type of rubbing/friction on the surface. It probably wouldn't pay to have NCS conserve this because the price differential between G and VG is small. For silver, I use pure acetone. It's non-reactive to the metal and removes all organic material.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread