Morgan Dollar Question?

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you post a pic of the coin???

mark v

Mar 10, 2006
S.W. Pa.
Detector(s) used
Deus, CTX
The 7 feather coin was the first Morgan dollar reverse design. After it was produced somebody noticed that an eagle actually has 8 tail feathers, not 7.The government corrected the problem so that's where the different tail feather numbers come from. i.e. 8 over 7, 8.

No mintmark means it was struck in Philadelphia.

hyperion

Jun 26, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX E Series
mark v,

You're correct but backwards. The 1878 started with 8 TF and went to 7 for the reason you stated. The first coins produced were 8 TF, then the correction to 7 TF. Rather than completely create reverse dies, mint engraver just recut the reverse dies with 7 TF and the result was a 7 over 8 TF. The last change for 1878 was going from a parallel arrow feather to a slanted arrow feather (Reverse of 79). Here's an interesting link to a story on the "first Morgan die" ... I have one of these coins. ;D

http://www.vamworld.com/1878-P+VAM-9

Concerning the original question it all depends on the condition of the coin and the type. There are two 7TF types in 78 ... reverse of 78 (parallel arrow feather) and reverse of 79 (slanted arrow feather). 1878 proofs were created with 8 TF, and both types of 7 TF. Then there are the hundreds of dies marriages creating all those varieties. It's enough to make your head swim. If you could post large, clear pictures of the obverse and reverse, I could try to help narrow it down.

OP
OP
deagleye

deagleye

Feb 26, 2008
South Alabama
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Thank you to all of yall for responding. I am going to try to get a pic. of my coin. I would have done it already but work has kept me busy. I don't know anything about coins, except how to spend them, thanks again.

mark v

Mar 10, 2006
S.W. Pa.
Detector(s) used
Deus, CTX
hyperion said:
mark v,

You're correct but backwards. The 1878 started with 8 TF and went to 7 for the reason you stated. The first coins produced were 8 TF, then the correction to 7 TF. Rather than completely create reverse dies, mint engraver just recut the reverse dies with 7 TF and the result was a 7 over 8 TF. The last change for 1878 was going from a parallel arrow feather to a slanted arrow feather (Reverse of 79). Here's an interesting link to a story on the "first Morgan die" ... I have one of these coins. ;D

http://www.vamworld.com/1878-P+VAM-9

Concerning the original question it all depends on the condition of the coin and the type. There are two 7TF types in 78 ... reverse of 78 (parallel arrow feather) and reverse of 79 (slanted arrow feather). 1878 proofs were created with 8 TF, and both types of 7 TF. Then there are the hundreds of dies marriages creating all those varieties. It's enough to make your head swim. If you could post large, clear pictures of the obverse and reverse, I could try to help narrow it down.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread