Cleaning pennies? Beating a dead horse..... I know........ :)

S

seger98

If you are talking just regular Lincoln pennies, I tumble mine in a rock tumbler, just water, dawn dishsoap & a little sand! They come out pretty nice that way, If you are talking wheaties or Indian Heads, I use he proxide method!

OP
OP
N

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
seger98 said:
If you are talking just regular Lincoln pennies, I tumble mine in a rock tumbler, just water, dawn dishsoap & a little sand! They come out pretty nice that way, If you are talking wheaties or Indian Heads, I use he proxide method!

Can you elaborate on the peroxide method?

Thanks.

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
If they're not valuable, clean'em in Cream of Tartar and water. The mint used that on the copper planchets for pennies. They won't be shiny, but they'll look like copper again.... :wink:

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
If you don't have one buy a cheap tumbler from harbor freight, Use a cup of small rocks like they put in fish tanks, 1 tsp dish soap, 1tbl ammonia & a splash of water. Let them tumble for about 1-2 hours & they come out looking new.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zephyr said:
If they're not valuable, clean'em in Cream of Tartar and water. The mint used that on the copper planchets for pennies. They won't be shiny, but they'll look like copper again.... :wink:

Zephyr, Can you elaborate (nice big word Huh!) on that "Cream of Tartar" cleaning method a little. I am always looking for better ideas on cleaning.

Ed D.

bgretz1989

Dec 28, 2008
USE KETCHUP! Put some ketchup in a bowl and make sure the penny is covered in it wait a few mins and rinse it under water. Sounds weird but the acid from the tomatoes clean um up well.

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker
I NEED SOME WHERE TO STORE THIS INFORMATION. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread