Three from my collection

hyperion

Jun 26, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX E Series
I have this affinity for large chunky silver disks. Two Morgan $'s and a Seated Half.

1878_8TF_Obv.jpg

1878_8TF_Rev.jpg

1880_O_Obv.jpg

1880_O_Rev.jpg

1859-0_Obv.jpg

1859-0_Rev.jpg

OP
OP
hyperion

hyperion

Jun 26, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX E Series
Thanks guys ... yeah I do like the "crust" on that Seated Half. ;D

The other two (Morgans) are special, too. That 1878 is a VAM 9 "First Die Pair" that was made on March 11, 1878. How can I know this? On that night in Philadelphia they began production of Morgan dollars and the first two coins off the press were sent to President Rutherford B. Hayes. A reporter was present and noted a production of just over 300 coins before the reverse die failed and had to be replaced with another. Fast forward to around 1970 and a couple of Morgan die variety pioneers (Leroy Van Allen and George Mallis = VAM) got a look a the Hayes coins and catalogued the die marriage. All Morgans with this reverse die are attributed to that night back in March of 1878. Great history there! ;D

The 1880-O is a very rare VAM with less than five known in uncirculated condition. On the reverse there is a die gouge on the tail that was called a "hangnail". This is a somewhat common feature. But, on the obverse there are traces of an overdate (a small spike protruding from the top of the second 8) where the top of a 7 shows through. Either one of these features in isolation is a neat variety, but put them both together and you get a major rarity. ;D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions