what should you be able to buy an 1877 indian for in G shape ?

Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My coin book (of last year) lists this coin at about $850 at good condition. My local coin shop is selling theirs for $1299. I suppose the price would have gone up a little in my book if I were to check this year's values.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$1299??? wow what grade is it?

hyperion

Jun 26, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX E Series
Are the coins slabbed or raw? Be very, very careful of a raw 1877 IHC. These have been widely counterfeited and some examples fool even the veterans. If they are raw, I would expect you could get one for between $500-600 graded G-4. My next step would be to send it in for grading and certification by a reputable firm (PCGS, NGC, ANACS) and if not genuine, return it to the dealer for a full refund. If they are slabbed by one of these firms, you would need to add about $100 to the above prices. What is the dealer asking for them?

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
where is the best best to have one graded and slabbed? I have never sent a coin in, so I need some advice on this one? When I look at different sites I get a bit confused on what I am gonna pay, looks like it is gonna cost 60-70 bucks at least with shipping both ways and their fee??

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
You might be better off buying one that's already been authenticated, graded, and slabbed by ANACS or PCGS. As noted, you'll pay a premium for it, but probably not a lot more (if any) than the cost of getting a raw one certified, plus shipping & insurance both ways. Also, this way you'll avoid the possibility of having the coin come back with an unfavorable report (fake, lower grade, etc.) and then trying to get a refund from the dealer.

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well the thing is I have bought from my local dealer for quite some time, I trust him and he gives me great deals. I have never found a coin dealer I have trusted. This guy I trust. To me that means a LOT. He is an honest guy, and I choose to deal with him. He showed me the ways to authenicate an 1877, I looked at the coin under a microscope and it is clearly not a fake.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions