where is a good place to have coin graded and slabbed?

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
where is the best best to have one graded and slabbed? I have never sent a coin in, so I need some advice on this one? When I look at different sites I get a bit confused on what I am gonna pay, looks like it is gonna cost 60-70 bucks at least with shipping both ways and their fee??

anyhow it is for an 1877 indian ;D

wolfmann

Dec 30, 2006
I have good luck with dominion grading service- DGS its the old PCI grading co. however it is totally revamped. They are strict graders from what I have sent in. Also not real exspensive and you don't have to be a member of anything hope this helps The Wolf

hyperion

Jun 26, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX E Series
Another option is ANACS (google their site). They don't charge a membership fee like PCGS and NGC who cater to the volume submitter and they are about the same price a DGS (Dominion Grading Service) mentioned above. Although DGS may be tough, they are currently building a reputation and it will be many years before the meet or exceed ANACS' reputation. If your intent is to resell the coin, then definitely choose ANACS.

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok I just called ANACS since I was new to all of this they explained to me how this process works, grading fee would be $15-20 and return shipping/insurance would be $19, does that sound right?

hyperion

Jun 26, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX E Series
I believe they have a $10 grading special that's still in effect. You might ask them about it. I think it is a 30-day turnaround on these specials. The shipping and insurance is a killer. It's the same price for one or eight coins ... not too bad with eight coins, but a killer for a single.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is your 1877 a dug coin? Some grading companies will not grade a dug, cleaned or damaged coin, they may authenticate it but not grade it.

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
l.cutler said:
Is your 1877 a dug coin? Some grading companies will not grade a dug, cleaned or damaged coin, they may authenticate it but not grade it.
no not dug

jlb783

Dec 1, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Outback
You could send it to GEC, it's cheap, I think, but they will grade it 4 or 5 grades higher than what it really is probably.

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GEC? never heard of them

jlb783

Dec 1, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Outback
Goes4ever said:
GEC? never heard of them
It's the Grade Evaluation Company, it's a cheapy, crappy grading service. My dad got a 1948 dime graded MS68 by them but it was VF-possibly AU.

hyperion

Jun 26, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX E Series
GEC and any other grading service except PCGS, NGC, ANACS, ICG, DGS, or SEGS (this list is in order of reputation, although NGC may currently fall behind ANACS due to some issues they are currently addressing) would be throwing money away. They have zero credibility in the collecting communtity. If I saw an 1877 Indian in a GEC holder my first thought would be counterfeit!

jlb783 ... >:(

jlb783

Dec 1, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Outback
hyperion said:
GEC and any other grading service except PCGS, NGC, ANACS, ICG, DGS, or SEGS (this list is in order of reputation, although NGC may currently fall behind ANACS due to some issues they are currently addressing) would be throwing money away. They have zero credibility in the collecting communtity. If I saw an 1877 Indian in a GEC holder my first thought would be counterfeit!

jlb783 ... >:(
He is right.

Fr3nchy27

Mar 21, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 12-25
I use ICG. They have been good to me. Their grading is strict, but fair. They have nice holders and are not too expensive. In my opinion, they are the next best behind PCGS.

Dan32981

Nov 11, 2005
Oak Harbor, Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PCGS, NGC, and ICG are the top 3 graders, i use ICG and have not had any problems what so ever, and they are averaging about a 10-12 day turn around time and each coin is graded by 3 professional graders and they all agree on the final grade. The prices are reasonable as well!

-Dan

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had it graded at ANACS and I got it back already...........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread