bclark

Jun 27, 2007
Daytona Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Whites Bullseye II
Equinox 800/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was brousing through craigslist and found this. Apparently it is a dime that was struck wrong and has a penny stamp. It is the size of a dime and everything. Here is the link and I am going to attach pictures incase the link does not work.
Below is what was said about this dime along with the listers email address. I am curious to know how much something like this is worth as well. Any ideas?

THE DIME IS MADE IN THE 80'S NOT 40"S AND IT IS NOT A PENNY SIZE. I HAVE HAD THIS DIME TOOK AND I HAVE A CERTF. STATING ITS A REAL DIME BUT STRUCK WRONG. A DEALER DID THIS PAPER WORK. I DO HAVE A STEEL PENNY MYSLELF AND KNOW THE DIFFERENCE. SORRY FOR ANYONE THAT DOES NOT KNOW THE DIFFERNECE. SO AGAIN ITS A DIME, SIZE OF A DIME, FULL DIME BUT STRUCK AS A PENNY. DATED 1989 AND IN GREAT SHAPE.AND JUST MAKE OFFER. DO NOT NEED TO SALE BUT WOULD IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT. THANKS AGAIN.

[email protected]

http://louisville.craigslist.org/for/1095491893.html

Attachments

• Back Dime.jpg
    Back Dime.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 5,131
  • Front Dime.jpg
    Front Dime.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 5,524

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550
I have heard of coins being stamped on the wrong planchet.Most likely that is what you have.
A penny stamped on a dime planchet.Now for what it is worth depends on the rarity of the strike.
I am sure someone else will chime in and let you know for sure.Great find :thumbsup:

fortbball9

jlb783

Dec 1, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Outback
2008 Red Book says it is worth about $300 but if it is struck over a dime it could be worth 3-5X higher.

hyperion

Jun 26, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX E Series
This is termed a "double denomination". It occurs when a previously struck clad dime is restruck with lincoln memorial cent dies. If both dates show fully, and it is in uncirculated condition, it could fetch $1000-1300. Here's a link to Fred Weinberg's error coin page with prices.

http://www.fredweinberg.com/inventory/categorylist.asp?t=c&ID=8

I wouldn't offer anything for it unless it was either certified or an expert got a first-hand look at it. You wouldn't believe what scammers can do with two coins and a vise. :wink:

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550
My sister found a coin one day that was a nickle also with a imprint of a penny.Come to find out somebody
took a nickle and sandwich it in a vise.The penny imprint was indent instead of raised lettering.Check the lettering and see if it is raised or a indention.But if you do believe that it is real as the coin dealer does,it would be worth sending off to get it slabbed (Certified).Hope it is real cause you would have some big $$$.

fortbball9

hyperion

Jun 26, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX E Series
This one isn't a "vise job" because both Lincoln and Roosevelt profiles are facing correctly. If a cent and dime were sandwiched in a vice, you would get a negative image from one of the coins. Still, this could have issues that would prevent a positive resale. Best to have it certified and graded.

OP
OP
bclark

bclark

Jun 27, 2007
Daytona Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Whites Bullseye II
Equinox 800/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input all. I emailed the lady with the coin. I do not think that she will part with it but a good find on her part. Thanks again for the help everyone.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would think that she would have an actual penny and dime with it for size comparison. I will give .11 cents :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread