• GC.jpg
    GC.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 384
  • GC2.jpg
    GC2.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 374

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
Not a pro grader but either XF or AU. I'm OK w/ silver coins but gold tends to mess w/ my senses. Home that help! ;D :icon_sunny: :icon_study: :tongue3: :icon_king:

OP
OP
hollywood13185

hollywood13185

Jan 18, 2009
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett GTP 1350, Ace 250, Detector Pro Pistol Probe
The guy I bought it from told me it was MS-63. Im not good at grading either, espescially gold. Theres no scratches on the actual coin, those are on the plastic case. How much does it cost to have one professionally graded?

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a really cool coin Josh!!
I've only got a 1851 $1 gold coin... but it's still neat to look at. :)
I'll be moving back to Florida at the end of May, so we should try and get out sometime before then.

Bran <><

hyperion

Jun 26, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX E Series
Josh,

You should be able to determine if this one is UNC or AU. Look closely at the highest points of the design for mint luster. That's the "frost" created during the minting process. If it remains intact on the highest surfaces, your coin is UNC. If it is shiny on on those high spots in contrast to frosted lower areas, the coin has seen some mild handling and will probably grade AU. Look at it from an angle rather than straight-on and rotate it in the light so you can clearly see the luster. The highest points on the design for this series are the hair above Liberty's ear and the top of the hair band on the obverse. On the reverse it's the breast feathers and leading edge of the wings.

Unfortunately the 1907 is a common date for the series and just stays ahead of melt values in grades below MS63.

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
hollywood13185 said:
The guy I bought it from told me it was MS-63. Im not good at grading either, espescially gold. Theres no scratches on the actual coin, those are on the plastic case. How much does it cost to have one professionally graded?

That's one nice coin! I saw the scratches as one on the coin. But as it being in a plastic holder it is probably around that area. The high points look untouched. Of course many dealers over-grade coins to get more money. So I'd say maybe MS-60 to MS-63. If you want to get it certified send it to PCGS. They are the #1 grading service. http://www.pcgs.com/submission.html ;D :icon_study: :icon_sunny: :icon_jokercolor: :icon_king: :thumbsup: :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread