Any Opinions

tinkb

Feb 12, 2005
Salem Ohio
I have had this coins for several years now. I actually got it in a Misc coin auction off EBay for $32. In the batch was two silver dollars (one a very nice VAM) the other a BU 1922, a 1852 3 cent with extreme doubling, 3 Russian commes/tokens ( I will post these later for some help with them) and 103 other misc token from the 20-30s. Some the guys that had this stuff wasn't selling junk and probably didn't know that it all had value.

But this 1819 LC has been a real mystery. I have posted it on several forums, wrote experts and really haven't found out anything about it other that its not a normal 1918 circulated coin. I have been told to send it into a grading company that will do research on it. Its not that expensive and I do plan on doing it. But thought I would post a picture of it here and see if anyone can throw anymore suggestion out.

Some say its a fake, but could be worth a lot more if it was one of the more famous counterfeiters. One person wrote and said it could be a prototype or sample coin. But all agree its something strange and in exceptional condition. It was sealed in a plastic container when I got it with nothing on it but 1819 one cent. So any help or suggestions about would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 1819 Lrg Cnt obv.jpg
    1819 Lrg Cnt obv.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 403
  • 1819 Lrg Cnt Rev1.jpg
    1819 Lrg Cnt Rev1.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 403
OP
OP
tinkb

tinkb

Feb 12, 2005
Salem Ohio
I agree that it does match later large cent designs. Infact, I think its features match the half cent better then large cent. BUT, why would someone go the the expense, trouble and possible counterfeiting prosecution to make one of the more common and less collectible large cents. I realize a penny back then was worth more then than today, but why not put the effort into say a more valuable LG or even a nickle or dime? I would love to find out the reason for it being made. thanks for the comments so far.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also think some kind of modern souvenir, very simplistic crude design. Looks like modern play money, definitely not a US mint product.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
l.cutler said:
I would also think some kind of modern souvenir, very simplistic crude design. Looks like modern play money, definitely not a US mint product.

Yep, reminds me of the 1776 8 reales.

As for the last part of the post, if it was a period counterfeit then maybe some value, but this one is modern and better called a replica. Would be wasting money to send it anywhere.

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasuredog said:
Looks fake to me. Just my opinion.

Yep. You can just tell it's fake. You got jipped. :icon_scratch:

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
OP
OP
tinkb

tinkb

Feb 12, 2005
Salem Ohio
Thanks folks. Just find it funny someone would make such a coin. Doesn't fit in with the actual 1819 large cents. I agree it looks closer to the later date cents and even closer to the half cents. Sure wouldn't seem to be worth the time for a counterfeiter to make such a coin. But I sure would like to find why it wa made and who made it.

Fr3nchy27

Mar 21, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 12-25
Mackaydon said:
It might also be a modern day sample repo coin given out as a souvenir--without any intent to defraud.

Agreed, definately a souvenir.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well to avoid being charged with making "counterfiet" old money -- they use mismatched parts --the front of one coin with the back of a differant era --thus it while have elements of "real" money on it --is not a "true copy" of either real coin (front of one / back of another)--since only one side matches any "real" coin (thus they can not be siezed" as counterfiet goods by customs since their called "fanasty pieces"-- thus these coins can be palmed off legally on unsuspecting folks * (like you) who think their real or neat --- its called a "fanatsy piece" legally but its just el slicko counterfieting at work :wink:

OP
OP
tinkb

tinkb

Feb 12, 2005
Salem Ohio
Hi Allen, Most of the stuff I got was sold. Those were sale tax tokens, 1920/30s subway and train tokens and 40 MardiGras tokens. I still have the two morgans, 3 1914 Russian coins/tokens I have been trying for two year to find out about, a 1853 3 cent peice with terrible MDing and some other stuff. I will dig these peices out and get you a few shots of them. Would really like to get the real scoop on these 1914-15 medals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread