1893 Isabella Quarter

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
This coin belongs to a friend of mine. He was able to buy it for $500 a couple of weeks ago. Recently I sent the coin to NGC for a regrade into an NGC holder. Not surprising to me the coin came back "cleaned" NO GRADE.
Do I think he got burned? I think that he paid a fair $ for the coin and it will only go up in value.

Commernts on the coin are welcomed :thumbsup:
VPR

Attachments

• IMG_7488_1_1.JPG
    IMG_7488_1_1.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_7489_1_1.JPG
    IMG_7489_1_1.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_7498_1_1.JPG
    IMG_7498_1_1.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_7501_1_1.JPG
    IMG_7501_1_1.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 306

hyperion

Jun 26, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX E Series
Sorry for your friend, but he got burned. "Problem" coins only bring about 50% of the value of a non-problem coin, if you can find a buyer. You can pick up a non-problem Isabella in MS-60 for around $500. When I looked at these pictures, the first thought that came to mind was "cleaned".

A caution to all who view this thread ... be VERY, VERY cautious of coin purchases in "basement slabs". These are usually the work of one individual (owner and grader are the same person) who has a vested interest in the grade on the front of the slab. Many problem coins go in these slabs in an attempt to give them legitimacy. You will find them all over EBay. The following grading services are acceptable and stand behind their grading ... PCGS, NGC, ANACS, ICG, PCI, Dominion Grading Service (DGS), and SEGS. The last three are sometimes guilty of over-grading, but don't slab problem coins. Any other name on a slab should send up a RED FLAG! But hey, everybody makes mistakes and sometimes the basement slabbers put a real nice, problem-free coin in one of their slabs and you can get it for a song. If the pictures are decent and you know how to spot cleaning, counterfeits, etc., you can sometimes be a winner. ;D

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, a much better coin could have been had for the money. Not much chance of recovering his money any time soon, keep it and see what happens.

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
thanks for showing beaties

OP
OP
VERMONTPACKRAT

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
I think that if he keeps the coin for a while, he should not have too much trouble getting his money back out of it.

Aside from the cleaning it is a nice coin.

Thanks for the comments, VPR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions