enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on what the coin is. If it is valuable, don't clean it. If just a run of the mill coin, simple soap and water. Let us know what it is first.

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Welcome JDog, The best thing I can say is to go to our "Cleaning and Preservation" forum and start reading. There are over 3900 posts on over 580 topics. It will give you lots of pros and cons from the folks who have experimented with many different methods. If you do have a specific coin that you would like some advice on, by all means let us know. We love giving our opinions!

Good luck! Looking forward to hearing about your future finds (and seeing them too) :)

tinkb

Feb 12, 2005
Salem Ohio
Jaydog, best advise I could give you from my own experience is....Don't clean any coin until you find out the value. If your talking about clad dug up from detecting that is dirty, many of us just use a tumbler with some soap and aquarium gravel. That will clean off the dirt and bring some of the shine back so you can turn it in.

Now if you talking about a coin that might have some value either from detecting, someone left them to you or you bought, don't touch it with any thing but gloves on. There are coins out there that have conciderable value in even the worst grade. By cleaning a coin you will reduce the value sometimes by 50% or more.

Believe me, many of us just getting into collecting have done just this. Gotten an old coin that looks dirty and thought the value would be more if it was nice and shiny. Only to find out the coin was worth way more untouch then cleaned.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread