Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if it isa real Birch Cent and depending on whether there is edge lettering it is either one of only 2 or 8 known and worth thousands. My first instinct would say its counterfeit due to the rariry of them, but then again..ya never know...have a reputable coin dealer look at it or a grading company before you dish out any money for it. How much they asking for it??

OP
OP
I

idiotbuster

Tenderfoot
Apr 21, 2009
Mainedigger said:
Well if it isa real Birch Cent and depending on whether there is edge lettering it is either one of only 2 or 8 known and worth thousands. My first instinct would say its counterfeit due to the rariry of them, but then again..ya never know...have a reputable coin dealer look at it or a grading company before you dish out any money for it. How much they asking for it??

Right now it is 108 dollars and well it's on ebay. Alot of people are bidding on it the person has a 100% Feedback and almost 2500 auctions. Well From what i know about the coin there is a unknown amount minted and unknown amount today. I searched the coin on google and i saw some auction sites and a few months ago in NYC one sold for $800,000+ so it would be a steal at this price. But i am still unsure if i would buy it because it may never come around again. If i buy it and find that its fake then i could just put it back up and try to sell it for mor than i payed.

tinkb

Feb 12, 2005
Salem Ohio
I would ask the seller to guarantee it or give your money back is its a fake. Most reputable seller will give X amount of days to return any coin in question.

S

stefen

Buster,

Anybody would be an idiot to buy a rare coin of this caliber from an Ebay seller.

OP
OP
I

idiotbuster

Tenderfoot
Apr 21, 2009
stefen said:
Buster,

Anybody would be an idiot to buy a rare coin of this caliber from an Ebay seller.
i e-maild the seller and he had several experts look at it and they thought it was a reproduction from around 1800 a very well done reproduction so he just put it up and wanted to see how much it would go for and it did sell for much more than i would pay for a fake coin. It sold for 466 us dollars.

F

Felinepeachy

It looks fake to me. The pitting in the coin reminds me too much of something poured into a mold that had air bubbles.

OP
OP
I

idiotbuster

Tenderfoot
Apr 21, 2009
Crosby said:
idiotbuster said:
If i buy it and find that its fake then i could just put it back up and try to sell it for mor than i payed.

Would you disclose that it is a fake?

I did e-mail him and he took it to several coin experts and most of them agreed that it was a replica from around 1800 even a replica from that time is known to sell for 400-1000 us dollars

S

stefen

Mackaydon said:
I wonder how these 'experts' could determine this one replica was made in 1800 versus 2000?

As a WAG (Wild A$$ed Guess), if only a handfull are known to exist in museum or private collections, and one came available, from a suspected source, and on Ebay of all places, I would tend to lean on the side of caution. :icon_scratch:

They only have a picture to examine...

Imagine if they all agreed that this was the real thing and find out later that the buyer was burned by their recommendation...so goes a career (and maybe life savings)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
idiotbuster said:
If i buy it and find that its fake then i could just put it back up and try to sell it for mor than i payed.

Great Idea! I believe in "Pay the Scam Forward" too! :thumbsup:

Take your brother for more money than you've been suckered into losing. Oh ya! I smell an fail-safe business model in the works.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread