counterstamped US half cent info needed

Dennis 2

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2008
counterstamped US half cent info needed

I have a counterstamped US half cent.I was told Merchants would put their initials or names onto coins as a means of advertising. In the text, It looks to be a 1802 or 3 half cent.You can see the RT in liberty and the bust. The "CT" counterstamp is right over the bust. would anyone know the silversmith or Merchant etc. that stamped this coin ? It was found in MA. thanks for looking.
Dennis 2

Attachments

• addon.jpg
    addon.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 220

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: counterstamped US half cent info needed

Gregory Brunk's book, Merchant and Privately Countermarked Coins, illustrates this countermark and describes it as "C. T. in Serrated Rectangle". I don't understand his cataloging conventions, so don't know the meaning of the "(T-16)" number he assigned to this countermark. He indicates that this same mark has been seen on half cents of 1794-1829 and one Canadian token. The date the countermark was made was therefore 1829 or later, but that is all the info I can glean.
John in ID

OP
OP
D

Dennis 2

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2008
Re: counterstamped US half cent info needed

Thank you John . That's were the info I got came from. I wish he had more info about the stamp. Hope someone might have more information on it. Thanks for your help.
Dennis 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions