Penny errors...

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
I decided to go through the pile of change that's sitting on my nightstand, and I found this. Now understand I'm aware slightly offstruck pennies aren't worth anything more than one cent, but it's interesting to me! :) It's a 1972 D penny. It's slightly offstruck, but what's interesting me, is I don't know what that crecent shaped darker color is, like, over the date on the front. Any ideas or comments?

Attachments

• 72pennyfront.jpg
    72pennyfront.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 334
  • 72pennyback.jpg
    72pennyback.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 330

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Snee--it looks to me like perhaps a quarter or nickel was sitting on top of it out in the weather for a long time. You could see if the curvature of a quarter or nickel matches the crescent on the cent - the part that was exposed oxidized faster than the covered part. Just a thought...John in ID

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
idahotokens said:
Snee--it looks to me like perhaps a quarter or nickel was sitting on top of it out in the weather for a long time.? You could see if the curvature of a quarter or nickel matches the crescent on the cent - the part that was exposed oxidized faster than the covered part.? Just a thought...John in ID

I agree, or a sticker or something.

Keep @ it and HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions