help grading coins

FingerGrime

Mar 3, 2009
Kentucky
I'm pretty sure the two half dollars have been cleaned (there is grime still in some of the nooks and crannies)
IMG_1479.JPG
IMG_1480.JPG
IMG_1481.JPG
IMG_1483.JPG

But has this morgan been cleaned? I can't really tell...
IMG_1484.JPG
IMG_1486.JPG

Also, what do you guys think it would grade as?

Thanks,
Aaron

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately all of the coins have been heavily polished. They are still worth there silver content but sorry to say not much more.

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
He pretty much was saying what I wanted say, the Franklin isn't polished that badly though, on the front... The walker definitely cleaned. Not worth anything more than $6. The Morgan is cleaned and is in XF. Nice coins, bummer they were cleaned though... :'( :( :'( :(

OP
OP
FingerGrime

FingerGrime

Mar 3, 2009
Kentucky
Ok, I think I now have a handle on how to tell whether or not morgans have been cleaned. (Unfortunately, a good many of my nicer looking coins are cleaned...but now most are worth about what I paid for them).
I don't feel very confident about some of the other coins though. What about these two?:
IMG_1490.JPG
IMG_1495.JPG
IMG_1496.JPG

Thanks again,
Aaron

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Hard to tell on the Merc, but the Walker is cleaned. The Merc shows a little toning unless its just the light the pic was taken in, so if it was cleaned it'd be a long time ago.

OP
OP
FingerGrime

FingerGrime

Mar 3, 2009
Kentucky
Couldn't it have just not developed toning? Is the eagles breast a little too worn for a coin with that amount of luster?

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
FingerGrime said:
Couldn't it have just not developed toning? Is the eagles breast a little too worn for a coin with that amount of luster?

Could very well be so- hard to tell from pics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions