help on buying coins

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
Somone around here (maybe more than one) said that you should buy the highest grade (quality) coin you can afford. In other words, it would be better to get a ms 69 graded coin that may be more common in mint totals, than to get a beat up coin that seems more rare. Just a thought.

John

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
idiotbuster said:
ebay has been a great place to buy coins in the past, but it only seems good for coins that are less rare. I'm looking to buy things like 1796 dime or a 1795 half dime. Do you guys know any good websites besides HA.com i'm not looking for the 70,000$ version. Any suggestions will be appriciated.

Most of the really good older coins are handled by professional coin auction houses (google David Lawrence, etc). If you are planning to buy from them, you better be prepared to spend some serious cash. Their format is not unlike eBay, but their average bidders are more wealthy than the best eBay bidders. Happy Hunting!

davesx

Aug 27, 2006
essex, england
blurr said:
Somone around here (maybe more than one) said that you should buy the highest grade (quality) coin you can afford. In other words, it would be better to get a ms 69 graded coin that may be more common in mint totals, than to get a beat up coin that seems more rare. Just a thought.

John
I agree, condition is paramount.
Dave.

Gettintoknowsomethin

Feb 15, 2009
Long Beach CA.
Detector(s) used
$49.99 Radio Shack
Buy MS70s! 69s are quite common but 70s make their worth skyrocket!. I just got this coin in the mail I checked the mintage on it and under 5000 were produced by the mint and out of those only 80 were graded by PCGS in 70!. I know Platinum isn't very popular with collectors but I got the coin for $75.00 UNDER melt. Who knows in 10-20 years it could be worth something.

Attachments

• !BUnYdr!CGk~$(KGrHgoH-DIEjlLlvv6nBKOYJerhhg~~_1.jpg
    !BUnYdr!CGk~$(KGrHgoH-DIEjlLlvv6nBKOYJerhhg~~_1.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 322
  • !BUnYeI!!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-DYEjlLl4)iEBKOYJhJeIg~~_1.jpg
    !BUnYeI!!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-DYEjlLl4)iEBKOYJhJeIg~~_1.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 317
  • !BUnYdr!CGk~$(KGrHgoH-DIEjlLlvv6nBKOYJerhhg~~_1.jpg
    !BUnYdr!CGk~$(KGrHgoH-DIEjlLlvv6nBKOYJerhhg~~_1.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 307
  • !BUnYeI!!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-DYEjlLl4)iEBKOYJhJeIg~~_1.jpg
    !BUnYeI!!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-DYEjlLl4)iEBKOYJhJeIg~~_1.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 310

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Not sure if your still in the market for coins but if you can visit your local coin shop or visit one in the surrounding area. I found that you get the best prices from coin shops and see the coin before you buy it. One word of caution/advise; don't buy from a coin dealer who uses an over the counter coin book to set prices - buy a current Coin Red Book - check PCGS web site for coin values and changes too.

Good luck

Attachments

• tn_27_jpg.jpg
    tn_27_jpg.jpg
    850 bytes · Views: 238
  • tn_27_jpg.jpg
    tn_27_jpg.jpg
    850 bytes · Views: 230

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread