OP
OP
joey

joey

Mar 27, 2005
boston, ga
Detector(s) used
discovery 1100
well this is the coin topic ! i figured i could get some help with this topic ! if any members now about coins pls help me with this topic ! thank you all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JOEY

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joey,
It is very simple, yet you need to see both to understand the difference.
A doubled die is a die that already has doubling in the design. Dies are made off of a larger hub die and the design is minimized by this process. Sometimes the hub die or the die being made will be accidentally be moved a fraction of a degree or two and this will cause the design to overlap on the new die. The same thing can happen if a set of dies are made the same way. Think about a spiralgraph. It's not the same thing but a good example. by putting the pen in a hole and spinning it inside a fixed radius, the design will repeat itself after a certain amount of time. Move it one tooth and the design will start to overlap. A double die will always be on the same level as the design. My avatar is a good example of this.
Machine doubling can happen in several ways, but none are in the die design. One example is when there is play in one of the dies during the minting process. the die hits the planchet and then turns just a little. This will cause a secondary image trailing down from the original. It is slopping down from the design instead of being on the same level.
Here is a good site to look at examples of each. www.koinpro.com.
Hope this helps. Once you see one in real life you will be able to tell the difference.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread