US State Quarters Errors, I think... I hope! Need help to identify, please.

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hello, Numismatists!

Today I was digging through the over-flowing jar where I throw all my change at the end of every day and in there I found these three interesting specimens. I haven't been at this long enough to exactly what constitutes actual errors versus what simply looks error-like, but is totally common...

The first pick is the one I am the most sure of. It's a 2000-P New Hampshire state quarter with what really looks to me like a reverse doubled-die. As you can see from the two pics, the emphasis seems to be all down the face of the 'old man', as well as the "live free or die" to the left of it. If it's a true doubled-die, it would be remarkable to have found it in my pocket change after it had circulated for nine years! Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

The next picture is of the reverse of the 2007 Utah state quarter with what looks like a worm-hole/crater with a circular rim that is above the surface, very weird. Any idea if this is worth keeping?

Lastly, is the third state quarter, from Wyoming. I'm fairly certain this one is nothing, but because I don't understand what is going on there, I just wanted to ask about it so I can learn what makes it look like that and not wonder about it forever. To me, it looks like some 'doubling', but again, I'm pretty sure its nothing, or maybe just the effect of a word out die at the end of its run.

If anyone can help me with these coins or share any info I would greatly appreciate it. This site is really a wealth of information and cool people and I thank you for reading and commenting with your thoughts. And now, the pics...

Attachments

• New Hampshire Quarter 01.JPG
    New Hampshire Quarter 01.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 3,236
  • New Hampshire Quarter 02.JPG
    New Hampshire Quarter 02.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 1,462
  • Utah-quarter.jpg
    Utah-quarter.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 14,732
  • Wyoming-Quarter.jpg
    Wyoming-Quarter.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 5,529

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1 and 3 are machine doubling. not sure what #2 is. probably postmint damage, but I will think about it.

OP
OP
EpsilonMinus

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
enamel7 said:
1 and 3 are machine doubling. not sure what #2 is. probably postmint damage, but I will think about it.
Thanks for the comment! What do you mean by 'machine doubling'? the first one is far more pronounced and seems to be a totally different effect than the third quarter, but like I said I don't really know. I'll google this machine doubling thing and find out what that's about.

As for the second coin, with the hole-like thing, I thought it was damage at first too, but its not really a 'hole', as the crater part comes up on top of the surface and there's no penetration into the coin surface.

Thanks again for the input, I appreciate it!

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Machine doubling is when the die shifts a little during striking causing a slight doubling. The second one is curious, either post mint damage or maybe a pit in the die?

OP
OP
EpsilonMinus

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
l.cutler said:
Machine doubling is when the die shifts a little during striking causing a slight doubling. The second one is curious, either post mint damage or maybe a pit in the die?
Ok, I see... But are machine-doubles really 'worthless, damaged coins'?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
those are worth 25 cent. With true doubling the design flaw is actually on the die being used. Every coin will have it. the doubling will be on the same level also.

OP
OP
EpsilonMinus

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
enamel7 said:
those are worth 25 cent. With true doubling the design flaw is actually on the die being used. Every coin will have it. the doubling will be on the same level also.
After a bit more studying this makes a lot more sense to me, and seems like a very common confusion. Thanks for helping to get me on the right track about this.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to help. I had trouble telling the difference in the beginning. Just seeing some examples in hand makes a difference. Ask questions anytime.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread