Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Apr 2006
    Bellevue, WA
    Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
    3 times

what does CLV mean on the right side of the log on the 2009 2nd design penny?

I was just curious about the CLV mark on the second design of the penny. I was wondering what the CLV mark was all about? Is that the Mint makers initials?
    Anyone can make life interesting you just have to go out there and do things instead of sitting on your butt doing nothing. Second quote: Life is about trying new things not just standing around.

us
    Feb 2009
    Kent Read, Kent Write, Kent State!!!!!! Ohio
    Whites Spectrum

Re: what does CLV mean on the right side of the log on the 2009 2nd design penny?

You are correct. The 2nd design penny is Lincoln's formative years in Indiana. It was designed and sculpted by Charles Vickers. Hence the CLV. (not sure what his middle name is)

us
    Apr 2006
    Bellevue, WA
    Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
    3 times

Re: what does CLV mean on the right side of the log on the 2009 2nd design penny?

Thank you very much! I knew that it was not worth more then a penny because of that mark, but I was just curious as to what it was

Quote Originally Posted by skylarking1970
    You are correct. The 2nd design penny is Lincoln's formative years in Indiana. It was designed and sculpted by Charles Vickers. Hence the CLV. (not sure what his middle name is)
    Anyone can make life interesting you just have to go out there and do things instead of sitting on your butt doing nothing. Second quote: Life is about trying new things not just standing around.

us
    Ace250man

Jul 2004
    Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let me detect!
    ace 250
    59 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)

the designers initials !
    ALLEN

us
    Just another Guy In Back

Feb 2007
    Left coast of Florida
    GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / Garrett Pro-pointer
    2357 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

On the front of the penny, very small on the lower right shoulder appears to be the initials, VDB. What does this mean?

Just got one as change and took a close look at it. Thanks for the CLV answer as I was curious about that as well.
    • "Freedom of the press is guaranteed only to those who own one." A. J. Liebling

us
    Dec 2006
    Pacific Northwest
    Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
    22 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Quote Originally Posted by GIB
    On the front of the penny, very small on the lower right shoulder appears to be the initials, VDB. What does this mean?

Just got one as change and took a close look at it. Thanks for the CLV answer as I was curious about that as well.
    VDB are the initials of the original designer of the lincoln cent. Victor David Brenner.

us
    Just another Guy In Back

Feb 2007
    Left coast of Florida
    GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / Garrett Pro-pointer
    2357 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by waseeker
    Quote Originally Posted by GIB

VDB are the initials of the original designer of the lincoln cent. Victor David Brenner.
    Thanks for the education!
    • "Freedom of the press is guaranteed only to those who own one." A. J. Liebling

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors