l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks more like 182?, it is the later style, 1809 to 1836. I don't know if any more cleaning would help it or hurt it, it looks like it may be starting to crumble.

pinebarrens1

Dec 20, 2007
bayville nj
Detector(s) used
minelab xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
clean the hell out of it ............it maybe a lost cause already . but just do it ......i cant believe you got only one responce to your advice ........?.....................some of the stupidest posts get a hundred replies and you help one gets one .....................

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pinebarrens1 said:
clean the hell out of it ............it maybe a lost cause already . but just do it ......i cant believe you got only one responce to your advice ........?.....................some of the stupidest posts get a hundred replies and you help one gets one .....................

I try to read the majority of the posts here. This one was in the "Coins" section, rather than Cleaning and Preservation, or some other more often viewed section. So that is most of the reason it didn't get more replies, I'm certain.

If it is your only Half Cent, or nicest one, or only example of that design, then I would leave it alone. Due to how crumbly it looks, I think most anything you could do to it would make it look like an indistinguishable copper disc.

Regards,

Buckles

tinkb

Feb 12, 2005
Salem Ohio
Have to agree with BuckleBoy on this one. I have tried cleaning several IHs and wheats in about the same condition with various techniques. The end results have been more lost of detail. It appears to me that the 2 and ? have been damaged and cleaning wouldn't help.

Btw, great find and congrats. Any US coins of that date should get more post of congratulation like Pine mentioned.

drgest

Apr 6, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum II, Fisher 1280x
It's copper. What do you guys think about using the hydrogen peroxide method with a quick rinse and a quick dry maybe gentle pressure with paper towel or hair dryer - no rubbing?

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
drgest said:
It's copper. What do you guys think about using the hydrogen peroxide method with a quick rinse and a quick dry maybe gentle pressure with paper towel or hair dryer - no rubbing?
I use this method on most (I said most) of my copper coins. I think that if you tried it with this one, it may take quite a bit of detail with it. Especially if it was heated to a boil. Found this one out the hard way with an IH. I think warm water, a tiny bit of dish liquid and a soft toothbrush on each side ONCE! That would be good enough.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
hogge said:
drgest said:
I use this method on most (I said most) of my copper coins. I think that if you tried it with this one, it may take quite a bit of detail with it. Especially if it was heated to a boil. Found this one out the hard way with an IH. I think warm water, a tiny bit of dish liquid and a soft toothbrush on each side ONCE! That would be good enough.
IMO that coin is a lost cause if you do anything to clean it.. you'll have nothing but a copper disc... it is way to fragile to handle any cleaning.. just try to wash the dirt of an then leave it alone

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i have had luck cleaning dirty coins with one of those steam irons like you see on those tv ads from time to time. i just steam them but do not rub the coin with anything. that includes drying. i let the coin airdry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread