Need help fellas.

JJTheisen

Apr 19, 2009
USAF
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
My friend walked into a local restaurant yesterday and purchased a basically incredible 1879 Morgan Silver Dollar(Needless to say I am still quite bitter that he found it before me). This coin is in incredible condition with almost little to no wear. Even the details of the ladies hair are incredible. So, here is what I need an honest answer to, what is the coin worth in such awesome condition? I own the 2010 redbook and it shows good numbers for 50, but can anyone give me a good estimate of what its true worth is? I cannot load a pic at the moment because we are both working at the bank right now. As always, any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thank you ahead of time.

JJ :coffee2:

OP
OP
JJTheisen

JJTheisen

Apr 19, 2009
USAF
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Mackaydon said:
For starters, can we assume it is a 1879 no mint mark coin?

That is correct, there is no mint mark.

JJ

tinkb

Feb 12, 2005
Salem Ohio
JJ, I am not expert on silver dollars but do dabble in them a little. First off, I would say if it is in extremely nice condition and left at a resturant for payment make sure its not a fake. There are some people not knowing the value of silver or any old coin for that matter. Just hard for me to believe someone used it as a $1 payment, but could have been stolen also. Tell your buddy nice fine and it does happen once in a while.

If it is the real mcCoy, we would need to know what Mint its from. It could be a P, O, S or CC. Without knowing the MM its hard to give you an estimate Other then a 1979P in Unc condition is around $22-25, s about the same, O a little more and the CC over $1500. This is according to the Fair Vlaue prices I use on the web.

Another thing also. That year was a heavy year for errors and clashes. It could fall into one of the Vam categories and make it worth more then a plain one. By nice to see a pictures of it and MM. there are a couple of guys here that know their stuff when it come ot Morgan. Hopefully they will chime in and correct me if I am wrong.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
An ungraded one sold last month for $18.80.
A MS-63 (from a grading service I've never heard of) is listed at $39.99 + 8.75% tax and $3.40 S and H; it remains without a bid with one day left.
The key to value is, of course, the exact condition of the coin. With your
2010 Redbook you can 'ball park' the condition then check Ebay for comparable sales.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions