waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like a cracked die to me and also probably a very late die state.

tinkb

Feb 12, 2005
Salem Ohio
Like to add LadyDigger, very nice photos of the coin. That last shot really shows some depth of the crack. How did you get them so nice.

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Thanks everyone! Yeah, I thought it was pretty cool too when my fellow co-worker showed it to me!

Tinkb: I use the Macro setting on my digital, then zoom in. Sometimes it takes several shots, sometimes I get lucky the first time! LOL

I shoot any and all angles I can and I tried that last shot I posted...hoping to give everyone viewing an idea on the depth of the crack, cause you can feel it, but hard to describe it...so I thought getting a photo of it to show what I mean!

Also, I open all my pics in my photo program (I use Corel Paint Shop Pro X2...been using PSP for years, think I started with PSP5). I then crop my photos just to show the object, not the backgrounds. Then due to size limitation, I resize my photos so they will fit on here, but not to be so big, where you have a hard time seeing the photo as a whole!

Now, you can take a photo of a coin you took in Macro setting and crop to the area of interest, but it won't come out as clean as if you Macro'd and zoomed on that area. Also, I prefer to take my photos outdoors, in natural sunlight, however, when I did the shots of the dime, I did it from my bathroom window. I was too lazy to go outside! LOL.

Wonder how rare a die crack like this is? Tried searching the web, but haven't been able to find anything similar. Oh well, will keep looking.

Thanks again everyone!
Annmarie

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Coinkid said:
Wow! That's an AWESOME die crack. That reverse die looks like it was close to cracking right in half! Nice find!

-Paul

Thanks! Actually, I was telling my co-worker, that if you looked at the backside, it really looks like someone broke it and then tried to super glue it back together! LOL!

Oh, and in my initial post, I said "observe"....I always get them confused, don't know why...so I will stick with backside! LOL

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
waseeker said:

Thanks Waseeker.... I am learning all I can on coin collecting and not sure what "late die state" means. Is that like the last stamp made to the coin? (impression)... Thanks!

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LadyDigger said:
waseeker said:

Thanks Waseeker.... I am learning all I can on coin collecting and not sure what "late die state" means. Is that like the last stamp made to the coin? (impression)... Thanks!

Except for special coins such as proof coins, each coin only gets stamped once (although there are some errors where a coin is not ejected and gets stamped a 2nd time).

Die cracks typically start small and then expand. Based on the length and height of the crack on your dime I suspect that particular die was not used much longer. Another way to think of it is that the die didn't just crack wide open all at once. It started small and the continued use of the die forced metal from the planchet into the crack, which further expanded it.

I have some 1995 Half dollars that show such a progression. It starts with just a small point on Kennedy's chin. Then the crack expands from there to the rim in stages. The late stage ones show not only the crack from the chin to the rim but also some cracks around the rim into the letters

tinkb

Feb 12, 2005
Salem Ohio
Waseeker, did you get them in rolls from a box or case. Would be cool to see a progessive die crack that extreme. Most people just find them in change or roll hunting bank rolls.

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tinkb said:
Waseeker, did you get them in rolls from a box or case. Would be cool to see a progessive die crack that extreme. Most people just find them in change or roll hunting bank rolls.

I got them from the Federal Reserve bank in Atlanta back in the late 90's. At that time they still had a teller that was available to the public and you could walk in off the street and buy coin from them. My wife worked down there so she would occasionally stop by and purchase half dollars for me. One trip she brought home $50.00 and all were the 95 date and about 50 of the coins had the cracks.

I've tried photographing them a couple of times without success, but am taking a photo class starting next month with the goal of learning more about lighting for photographing silver colored coins.

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
waseeker said:
tinkb said:

I got them from the Federal Reserve bank in Atlanta back in the late 90's. At that time they still had a teller that was available to the public and you could walk in off the street and buy coin from them. My wife worked down there so she would occasionally stop by and purchase half dollars for me. One trip she brought home $50.00 and all were the 95 date and about 50 of the coins had the cracks.

I've tried photographing them a couple of times without success, but am taking a photo class starting next month with the goal of learning more about lighting for photographing silver colored coins.

That is a really awesome find! WOW! My hubby made a comment I should have gotton the whole roll, but I told him it was one coin given by a customer...so who knows where the others are. :(

I'll be taking a photography class as well this Fall! Just so I can learn more! But in the meantime, if you have a digital, use the Macro setting. I prefer doing coin shots in the sunlight (natural lighting). You can zoom in with the Macro. Got to have a steady hand though!

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There really are two different types of die cracks, the run of the mill you see quite often, and major die cracks, which are much much more scarce. Yours looks to be a major die crack. Very nice find. I am going to start looking at my 2007P dimes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions