XII coin, still a mystery.

jsehoule

Nov 24, 2006
http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm41/jsehoule/Coin/?albumview=slideshow

I found this coin a couple of years ago. There were one or two people that said they were sure it was a spanish coin. Then there were people who said it was a cob. But to this day. No one can show me anything that is close to what I have. When I first found it. I thought I had a New England Shilling. It has silver in it. I am all most positive about that. It is said that some old silver does not age well. I thought I would share the mystery coin again. I have also enclosed a photobucket link with a lot of pics of the coin. And a Rosa Americana coin.

Untitled-Scanned-02.jpg
:headbang:

OP
OP
J

jsehoule

Nov 24, 2006
I have heard that before. And if by some chance it is missing details. I still can not find any coin with the same XII design on it like this one. Most Spanish coins I have seen have alot of details on them. Shields, crosses ect. If I can find at least one coin with the same punch mark on it. I would be happy. But for now. This is lonely only.. And worth $5,000,000.. lol

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Buckle has nailed it, pretty sure it is a copper Maravedis.

OP
OP
J

jsehoule

Nov 24, 2006
I was once told. That old silver will age the same way this coin did. The picture doens't do it justice. But if you can look around the edge. It is black and think. The same color as a 1/2 reale looks when found in a field in New England. There is copper in the coin. There is a green color to it too. But only on the crust of the coin. Below that it is black. I don't know for sure if it silver. I only know by the VDI #'s on my Minelab Pro. I would love to see a maravedis with the same stamp as mine. It would be solved for sure. My coin has no weight to it as well. You could be right. But I want to see another like it. At least with the same stamp. Any help would be great.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jsehoule said:
I was once told. That old silver will age the same way this coin did. The picture doens't do it justice. But if you can look around the edge. It is black and think. The same color as a 1/2 reale looks when found in a field in New England. There is copper in the coin. There is a green color to it too. But only on the crust of the coin. Below that it is black. I don't know for sure if it silver. I only know by the VDI #'s on my Minelab Pro. I would love to see a maravedis with the same stamp as mine. It would be solved for sure. My coin has no weight to it as well. You could be right. But I want to see another like it. At least with the same stamp. Any help would be great.

Well, it would be a Tall order perhaps to find a matching counterstamp--but perhaps there is a book that identifies them I don't know. For me, seeing the stamp on yours--which by the way is most likely "IIX" not "XII"--sealed the deal. Both your find as well as the coin in the photo I posted bear countermarks of Roman numerals for "8"--and so if you want to get to the bottom of this, weigh the coin and see if it weighs the same as a copper 8 maravedis weighs. Someone in the shipwreck forum could probably help there too. They will know the weight--and they may be able to confirm my ID of the coin. I don't know if you'll ever see an exact match for the stamp, but trust what those guys say. They know their Spanish Coins.

Regards,

Buckles

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
J

jsehoule

Nov 24, 2006
I wish you were close by. You would understand why I want a positive id. It would get you thinking. Bronz and copper are possible. And I think we could come up with a quick answer. But to me it doesn't seem like either and then there is the shape of the coin. The wt is about 7.5 grams. I checked that a while back. This coin is really thin too.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
jsehoule:

You wanted to see others to compare to. I offer up these seven for your consideration. As you can see, a 'side by side' comparison might tell you nothing. Nine Spanish mints (with slightly different marks) issued these reevaluated (revalidated) coins.
http://www.maravedis.net/felipe4resello1641xiipag.html
Don.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread