My dad gave me a small cache!

kneedpnholes

Sep 17, 2005
Eastman, Ga.
My dad has serious health probs and recently had to move to Tennessee from rural Georgia. In the move he gave me a metal box that.........clinked!.......when I shook it! I removed some papers and at the bottom was some modern lincolns and a few indian heads! There was a small uncovered box that contained several large dollar coins! I saw walkers and ms. liberty on the top! This weekend I`ll post pics of them. I`ll need help as far as the value as he needs the money right now! He has heart probs and needs a blood transfusion right now! He told me that he just saved them for me! He knows that I hunt with my detector but never told me about them! I don`t want anything! I just love him and want him to be around for a long time. Guys........I looked at the papers that I removed and 31 were from stock that he had bought in the early 70`s! I won`t mention the name but they contacted him last year wanting to buy them back but he said he couldn`t find them and had lost them! My sister is working on that for him. Thank god! I`ll post more when I take the pics as I need the help if these coins are worth what I think they might be!

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear of your Father's health problems....I'll pray for him.
I can't wait to see pics. As for valuation, DO NOT CLEAN ANY! I'm sure that with all of the knowledgeable folks on here, they'll be able to grade and give you ideas of value in no time! :thumbsup:

Best wishes,

Scott

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope everything works out okay for your dad. Post pics when you have a chance and give a little time for people to get on the forum. Lots of people willing to share their knowledge. Could be that stock has considerably more value. Best to ya.

OP
OP
kneedpnholes

kneedpnholes

Sep 17, 2005
Eastman, Ga.
My pics didn`t turn out from my cell. They are 19 $1 coins dates are 1888, 1889, 1891, 2- 1899, 1891, 2- 1901, 7-1923, 1922, 1924, 2-1776-1976, and a 1971! Kennedy half`s dates are 5- 1964, 1967, 1971, 1972, 2- 1973, 1- 1974, and a 1984! There are 27 Buff nic`s and can`t make out dates! 6 Wheats including what looks like 1 steel wheat! 1- indian head penny and looks like 1896! 1- merc dime! 1- UN mex coin! 1- whatsit that is slightly larger than a nic! I`ll post pics as soon as I figure out my cam! Sorry! Thanks for the help!

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the first are Morgan dollars, then starting in 1923 they're Peace dollars. If they are in excellent shape, I mean top notch, MS64 condition they'll be worth a bit. There are no key dates in that mix., The 1776-1976 are Ikes, unless they have an S mintmark, they're worth a dollar.
the 64 Kennedy is 40 per cent silver, the rest not. The rest are neat to have, but nothing special except that your dad gave them to you . Keep that in mind, the value is not always in the money part.

If the coins are in good condition and you want to start collecting, get them outa the box and into some 2x2 holders, that'll keep them from getting beat up any more than they are. :thumbsup:

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
Minor correction if I may.

'64 kennedy half is 90%

'67 kennedy half is 40%

Halfs up through '64 are 90%, '65 thru '70 are 40%, unless you have some proofs in there.

slykatt13

May 16, 2009
ny
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 50/minelab safari
sorry to hear about your dad ,i hope everything works out. wanted to reply about the stocks.a buddy of mine worked for a railroad for many years.the rr slips my mind right now.well anyway the rr switched owners and they contacted him about selling his stock back,OR IT WOULD BE WALLPAPER! make sure your sister is right on looking into them.it would be a shame to lose that money.(by the way my buddy paid $1 a share,they sold for about $110 a share)good luck and i hope everything is well.

LemonThrower

Jun 23, 2008
kneedpnholes said:
My pics didn`t turn out from my cell. They are 19 $1 coins dates are 1888, 1889, 1891, 2- 1899, 1891, 2- 1901, 7-1923, 1922, 1924, 2-1776-1976, and a 1971! Kennedy half`s dates are 5- 1964, 1967, 1971, 1972, 2- 1973, 1- 1974, and a 1984! There are 27 Buff nic`s and can`t make out dates! 6 Wheats including what looks like 1 steel wheat! 1- indian head penny and looks like 1896! 1- merc dime! 1- UN mex coin! 1- whatsit that is slightly larger than a nic! I`ll post pics as soon as I figure out my cam! Sorry! Thanks for the help!

sorry to hear about your dad. sounds like you were always in his thoughts. the coins in all likelihood are not worth a lot- $15 to $20 each but check the dates and mintmarks in a coin book.

as for the stock, look up the companies on the net. find out who their transfer agent is. contact the transfer agent and give them the certificate no and date. its possible the shares spilt or have unpaid dividends due to your dad. then go to yahoo finance and look up what the shares are worth. an easy way to sell these is to just open an account with ameritrade or scottrade and fund the account with these stock certifiates. the brokerage firm should do the research to figure out how many shares they are now but personally i would do the research myself first to make sure they don't make a mistake. computershare and AST are 2 of the biggest tansfer agents.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread