2009 US Mint Uncirculated Coin Set - does this make cents ?

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
I recieved my 2009 unc. coin set Friday :icon_sunny:
As i was checking it out i noticed this paper inside the box
I have not dealt with the US MINT since the early 80's. Has anyone here ever
recieved a paper like this when they ordered coins from the mint ?

> "anti - tarnish treatments" what is that chemicals ? and if so what kind ?
i wonder if i call the mint maybe they'll tell me what it involves ..... i doudt it

> this years uncirculated one-cent coins is expected to tarnish more over time
than the previous years "plated zinc one-cent coins :icon_scratch:
da mint.jpg

i thought i'd post this for all to see and see what kind of opinions i get
on it good / bad ?

thanks Mike

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
No worries. The mint issued the 95% copper composition for the mint and proof sets this year. The problem arose that when it came to treating the cents, they didn't know how to do so as it has been so long since they issued a 95% copper, all the old timer mint employees have retired. The treatment that they use for the copper-plated zincolns didn't work the same for the 95%'ers. It was the reason behind the delay.

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
Diver_Down said:
No worries. The mint issued the 95% copper composition for the mint and proof sets this year. The problem arose that when it came to treating the cents, they didn't know how to do so as it has been so long since they issued a 95% copper, all the old timer mint employees have retired. The treatment that they use for the copper-plated zincolns didn't work the same for the 95%'ers. It was the reason behind the delay.
thanks for the reply Diver_Down good info :thumbsup: makes sense to me
so thats the reason for the delay now, i assume all coins have been getting
anti - tarnish treatment for many years ?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Mike in Berks said:
Diver_Down said:

You are correct. Just a lack of experience with the new alloy. Of course, older mint sets still tarnish and one of the indicators as to whether it was stored correctly is looking at the cent piece. Heavily tarnished/spotted/etc. and it was kept under the best of circumstances.

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
Diver_Down said:
Mike in Berks said:
Diver_Down said:

You are correct. Just a lack of experience with the new alloy. Of course, older mint sets still tarnish and one of the indicators as to whether it was stored correctly is looking at the cent piece. Heavily tarnished/spotted/etc. and it was kept under the best of circumstances.
Thanks again for the help Diver_Down :thumbsup:
I really tried to keep up on the products the mint was selling this year $$$$$
Being it was the last year for the copper cent =millions made ...... billions?
I just hope mine look new in say 10,20 ...100yrs ;D

good luck diggin Mike

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Mike in Berks said:
Diver_Down said:
Mike in Berks said:
Diver_Down said:

Thanks again for the help Diver_Down :thumbsup:
I really tried to keep up on the products the mint was selling this year $$$$$
Being it was the last year for the copper cent =millions made ...... billions?
I just hope mine look new in say 10,20 ...100yrs ;D

good luck diggin Mike

Correction: The mint churned out billions of the zinc copper plated cents this year. The 95% copper ones are for true collectors (limited mintage as they were only released in mint and proof sets). These are the ones that will indeed appreciate in value. Don't crack them from the set unless you plan on having them slabbed. Put them away in a climate controlled space and forget about them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread