Ancient Coins - Need a little help please :)

SCMDing

Jan 4, 2007
Rock Hill, SC
I just found these coins in a box from a while back. Way back when eBay was almost still an unknown thing, I bought one of those "uncleaned" ancient coin lots. There was basically nothing there except for these 4 coins. The scans are big and not that great, so I will try and describe what I see as well. Thanks in advance for any help.

Coin #1 - The first 2 coins I am guessing are Byzantine, perhaps Justinian I. I am not saying that out of ANY experience at all, merely from some of the research I did. The first side of the coin obviously hase the big K shape, says "ANNO" on the left, maybe a TDI ( with the T over the DI ) in the upper section, and X in the right section and maybe a T65 or T63 in the lower section. On the other side it has 2 figures, looks like a king and queen, and they might be holding staves on the outsides of them.

Coin #2 - Similar K setup, pretty sure the left says ANNO, the upper section has either a cross or + symbol, it appears like it has an xxx in the right section and I cannot see anything in the lower section. After holding this coin in my hand again, I may have scanned it upside down. I almost looks like a larger, single face but really cannot make anything else out.

Coin #3 - This coin is thinner than the first two and looks like it is purposely bent, almost cupped if that makes sense. Again, I know nothing about ancient coins, just liked old things ;) I really cannot even guess what is supposed to be on either side. The first side pictured is the bent “outward” side.

Coin #4 - I probably should not have even posted this one, because there is very little detail. But, this is actually the coin that made me throw them in a box. For whatever reason, I had the REALLY stupid idea that I would try electrolysis on this coin. It used to be silver in color and had some detail, but the electrolysis literally turned it this color. I was really angry with myself and I told myself that I should probably just put them away before I ruin them all. Then I forgot about them!!!

So, any help would be great, I realize there is not much to work with on some of the scans. Oh yea, the dime is a dime, just for scale.

oc1a.jpg

oc1b.jpg

oc2a.jpg

oc2b.jpg

oc3a.jpg

oc3b.jpg

oc4a.jpg

oc4b.jpg

dime.jpg

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

lazooro

Sep 27, 2008
Sezana
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, TESORO TEJON
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes all byzantine and 4th maybe roman VOT.
greetings

OP
OP
SCMDing

SCMDing

Jan 4, 2007
Rock Hill, SC
Many Thanks for the responses.

Yea, TES ( not T65 lol ) makes a lot more sense now!

And good call on the VOT, I think you may be correct. I did a little research ( because I had no clue ) and I specifically remembered the detail on the wreath before I burnt the daylights out of that coin and it looks a lot like it. It is atleast very similar.

Thank you again.

Oh yea, I found one more coin from the box, this one was different from the others, should I post a pic here or start a new thread?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions