searching for some coinvalues

henk114

Greenie
Oct 27, 2008
Hello all,
I found the last few years some very nice coins.I don't know if I can trust the coindealers because one says 500 for the Escudo and another says 1000..so there is so much difference between the values and that's why I ask it also here hopefully someone has the knowledge to tell the good price :hello2:
I wish that I knew the value of these coins so I hope that someone can help me !
These coins are : 2 Escudo 1596 minted Sevilla
: 4 reaal minted Mexico
: nobel King Henry VI (1422-1461) minted London

Thanks a lot for the help,
kind regards,
Henk

Attachments

• 2Escudo1596.jpg
    2Escudo1596.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 297
  • escudo1596.JPG
    escudo1596.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 311
  • 2Escudo1596.jpg
    2Escudo1596.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 302
  • escudo1596.JPG
    escudo1596.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 300
  • DSC8248.JPG
    DSC8248.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 308
  • DSC8250.JPG
    DSC8250.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 293
  • 4  reaal.JPG
    4 reaal.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 298
  • zilveren 4  reaal (1).JPG
    zilveren 4 reaal (1).JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 301

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Regarding coin three: My internal 'red flag' went up when I saw that coin. I get suspect when the "P" of PLV overlaps the beaded cirlce; I believe its suppose to be within the beaded circle. Another cause for my personal alarm to go off is the number "8" used instead of the letter "S" in "SVL".
Don........

OP
OP
H

henk114

Greenie
Oct 27, 2008
Mackaydon said:
Regarding coin three: My internal 'red flag' went up when I saw that coin. I get suspect when the "P" of PLV overlaps the beaded cirlce; I believe its suppose to be within the beaded circle. Another cause for my personal alarm to go off is the number "8" used instead of the letter "S" in "SVL".
Don........

Hello Don,
thanks for your reply !
So you expect that it could be a fake coin? I really don't know,all I can say that I found the coin here in the Netherlands on a very old site where I even found a Hadrian coin dated 117 ac.I also found another(bad)bronze spanish coin and some other Roman coins.So I think it's not a fake coin,but that's my opinion.

Regards,
Henk

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

Sears list 6 examples of the HenryVI Noble...ranging from...£575 to £3000 depending on the Issue :read2:

SS

OP
OP
H

henk114

Greenie
Oct 27, 2008
Silver Searcher said:

Sears list 6 examples of the HenryVI Noble...ranging from...£575 to £3000 depending on the Issue :read2:

SS

Hello SS
I had a thread about the coin on a Belgium forum.
Perhaps you would like to take a look on the link,there are some marks signed on the coin and hopefully you get the needed info you asked for.I hope to hear from you again!!
Regards,
Henk
this is the link where you can see in which state the coin was when I found it :-))
http://www.detectorvrienden-vlaanderen.be/nforum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12237

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Assuming coin #3 is real, it might be the one noted by Nesmith as "110" and by Grove as #85--who describes the coin like this:
"Obverse, within a dotten circle is a crowned coat of arms of Spain. A pomegranate is in the diamond-shaped space at the bottom of the shield. To the left of the shield is a mintmark (small 'o' over (large) 'M'; and to the right is the assayer's letter, 'O'. (His name is unknown.)"
Obverse legend: CAROLVS ET IOHANAREGS.
Reverse legend: HISPANIARVM ET INDIARVM

if so, the coin would be from the reign of Carlos and Joana , Second Series.
1542-1555
I'm still scratching my head about that '8' instead of an 's' in SVL.
Don....

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The "Wiki" 's' is the standard 's'. Yours looks like a definitive '8', not an 's'.
To me, the '8' makes it either an error coin, or a different variety, or a fake--though I'm not an expert to make that call--and hope it turns out the best for you.
Don...

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
henk114 said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

Hello SS
I had a thread about the coin on a Belgium forum.
Perhaps you would like to take a look on the link,there are some marks signed on the coin and hopefully you get the needed info you asked for.I hope to hear from you again!!
Regards,
Henk
this is the link where you can see in which state the coin was when I found it :-))
http://www.detectorvrienden-vlaanderen.be/nforum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12237
Having a look, will come back to you shortly :thumbsup:

SS

OP
OP
H

henk114

Greenie
Oct 27, 2008
Mackaydon said:
The "Wiki" 's' is the standard 's'. Yours looks like a definitive '8', not an 's'.
To me, the '8' makes it either an error coin, or a different variety, or a fake--though I'm not an expert to make that call--and hope it turns out the best for you.
Don...

Hello Don,
I got a mail today that it's a error coin and the value is just about "only" 100€...........I guess that it is a little bit more :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

Henk

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
henk114 said:
Hello SS,
thanks a lot, I appreciate that!

Henk

Your coin is a HenryV1 Noble, Annulet issue,London..... Annulet By sword arm, and in one spandrel on rev,; 1422-c,1430

2008..... Spink Book Price.

F...£575
VF.£1400...although you might be able to get a little more. :thumbsup:

SS

OP
OP
H

henk114

Greenie
Oct 27, 2008
Silver Searcher said:
henk114 said:
Hello SS,
thanks a lot, I appreciate that!

Henk

Your coin is a HenryV1 Noble, Annulet issue,London..... Annulet By sword arm, and in one spandrel on rev,; 1422-c,1430

2008..... Spink Book Price.

F...£575
VF.£1400...although you might be able to get a little more. :thumbsup:

SS

thanks for the great determintion SS.It's also what they said in the Belgium forum,so now my searching can stop !
Regards,
Henk

OP
OP
H

henk114

Greenie
Oct 27, 2008
Mackaydon said:
Yes, I'd keep the cob coin and send a pic for ID-ing to Daniel Sedwick, a most reputable dealer in this type of material.
You can contact him here:
http://www.sedwickcoins.com/contact.htm
Don.......

I had send the picture to Dan and this came in last night:
"I think I have seen that before, not really an 8 so much as an S with extra ligature. It looks genuine to me, but I would need to see it in person to know for sure. Assuming it is genuine, then a value of about $250 is more or less correct for numismatic retail."

Dan Sedwick

I's a better determination than the Dutch one :-))
thanks a lot for the help Don!!
Regards,
Henk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread