Whats the best way to clean dug coins?

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
Whats the best way to clean dug coins? I am not talking good coins. I want to be able to clean up coins that I dig up that are so bad that I can't even read the date. Especially dug copper cents. I have found a few wheat cents that are so black and corroded that you can't hardly see what kind of a coin it is. Also nickel and copper nickel coins. I just dug a buffalo nickel that is really bad. I am set up for electrolysis and I have an ultrasonic cleaner. Should I use one of these or should I do something different?

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure about nickels, altho for encrusted copper I sometimes heat some peroxide for old IH's. It does tend to darken the coin. If its really bad, a virgin olive oil soak for up to several months. For common wheaties I may put them in a rock tumbler w/aquarium gravel and a drop of soap. I tumble for 20-30 minutes, almost no damage to the coin yet removes almost all crud and will bring out the detail very well. ffd

ES66

Oct 3, 2008
Eagan, MN
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Try soaking the coins in vinegar. This works especially well for copper. If you think there's a chance it might be a decent coin, soak it overnight in distilled water first, then rinse it to see what it looks like. For nickels, try soaking them in worchestershire sauce, in a closed container. The suggestion of the heated peroxide can work well, but it can take all the detail off really bad coins. Good luck!

LemonThrower

Jun 23, 2008
a little salt in the vinegar makes it stronger.

i would start with half vinegar half water and some salt.

Cladder

Sep 30, 2009
Richmond, Va.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, minelab xterra 70
Some of my first finds where some wheaties, one from 1917, I soakedthem in vineger over night ( I had forgotten about them) and it left me with a weaird looking pieace of bright colored copper........so i was wondereing how you used the viniger without damagng the coins?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread