Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Ya'll, I found a very nice 1850 Large Cent today with BOLD lines, but it is dirty and has the typical green patina. Should I clean it to remove the patina? If so, what would be the best method? Would a peroxide dip harm it? Thanks in advance, Breezie

Attachments

• LargeCentFront.jpg
    LargeCentFront.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 530
  • LargeCentBack.jpg
    LargeCentBack.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 562

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I think they have more character with the green patina. Also makes the details easier to see.

Great find!

OP
OP
Breezie

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the replies; I like the patina too. I'm wondering numismatically speaking is it worth more cleaned or as is? Breezie

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As is.. You might be able to spruce it up some try a long soak in DISTILLED water...

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
I don't think it will make much difference either way. Dug copper coins are worth less than nondug ones, to coin collectors anyway. I would leave it but that's just me.

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
Very nice find! Congrats! :thumbsup:

But I wouldn't touch it.
Sometimes that green patina is the only detail you're gonna get.
If it comes off, you could be left with a very porous copper disc.
It has great detail now.
I learned this the hard way, more than once. :BangHead:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
dug coins are always worth less "collector wize" than non dug ones are --- but "cleaned coins" are generally thought of as worthless to collectors as they have been in their veiw "altered" to try to look better than they naturally are.

OP
OP
Breezie

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to all . . .I'll gave her a distilled water bath just to remove the dirt, and she'll stay 'as is.' ;D Breezie

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
Here's 2 Largies that I found last year that I actually had the common sense not to mess with.
The upper one, the 1853, looks kinda like yours. Really makes you wonder what would happen to it if you tried messing with the patina, cause you can see the porousness of the copper of the non-patina'd areas. :nono: I wouldn't do it.

2008LargeCents.jpg

I've learned that the peroxide method works well for getting surface dirt off of Large Cents, but there's a fine line with that, and that line is going beyond the point of no return, where the peroxide could atually start flaking off the patina too, if your not careful.
Olive oil, which is GREAT for Indians, also has the potention to mess up Largies. It leaches into the coin, and over time, it can break down the coin, causing detail to slowly but surely flake off.
The bottom coin in my photo shows an 1850, with a very dark, almost blacklike patina. I was told by the elders in my detecting club, not to touch it, and that it was probably lost very shortly after mintage.
I'm starting to think that the best way to lightly oil these coins to clean and preserve them, is to use your own natural oils on them. This sound kinda gross, but after I get the basic dirt off a Large Cent, I'll rub it across my nose and Forehead, and let it absorb those human oils. That's all they were used to in their lifetimes before they were lost. "Greasy People". :laughing7: It's preserved them until now. I wonder how many others have thought about this?! :icon_scratch: :dontknow: :read2:

S

stefen

Numanistically, this coin has a very low value, especially as a dug coin.

Having said that, cleaning the coin using any method other than a water soak, would be detrimental.

Keep the coin as a conversation piece and enjoy it

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice!!

On some of the Indians that I've found (never found a LC. . . yet :()
I'll use peroxide and then after a long soak in distilled water, I'll coat
them in bee's wax and gently wipe off the excess with cotton.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Buzzard King said:
I'm starting to think that the best way to lightly oil these coins to clean and preserve them, is to use your own natural oils on them. This sound kinda gross, but after I get the basic dirt off a Large Cent, I'll rub it across my nose and Forehead, and let it absorb those human oils. That's all they were used to in their lifetimes before they were lost. "Greasy People". :laughing7: It's preserved them until now. I wonder how many others have thought about this?! :icon_scratch: :dontknow: :read2:

That is EXACTLY what I do to bring out the high points on my LC's. What folks don't realize is that it is the CONTRAST that enables you to see the detail. Soaking in water will tell you whether or not you'll like the coin with a layer of Renaissance Wax or Blue Ribbon Coin Conditioner applied. It'll be the same look--but forever "wet" looking! But if you want detail, experiment with using the natural oils of your skin to lightly go over the highest points of the design. It may take a while for that to soak in permanently, but you'll be able to enjoy the detail for long periods of time each time. Yes, your method is the best. Contrast is what we want. And that LC posted up above is perfect. I sometimes take a wooden skewer and lightly clean off the tops of the stars and othe raised parts, and leave the patina on the recessed parts, so that I can see what is there (which you Don't get on an oiled or waxed copper!).

Leave that LC as she is. She is BEAUTIFUL.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
I'm no expert at cleaning coins, but leave the large cent the way it is :) It looks really good right now :)

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Breeze nice find you have !! here,s a LC 1828 i found a few months ago it was very green and some what wore out i read where you can wet the coin with water abd dip in baking soda and brush with a soft electric tooth brush until desired effect ? mine the copper showed through . Your coin has much more detail then mine i would leave it just as is > HH Jim

Attachments

• 1828 LC front.jpg
    1828 LC front.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 406
  • 1828 LC back.jpg
    1828 LC back.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 449

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread