New Sacagawea?

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going through some "gold dollars" today I saw a Sacajawea with no date on the obverse. I thought, "Wow, a mint error!"
Upon further examination, I noticed that the reverse was different than the previously issued design for this coin and the date and some other lettering is on the edge ala the Presidential dollars. NUTZ!
I haven't heard anything about these new dollars. It is dated 2009.
Why would the mints reissue a new design on an older type dollar coin in the middle of their production run of the Presidential dollars?
Weird if you ask me...

Scott

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The Native American $1 Coin Act calls for edge markings on the coins. The year of minting and mintmark is incursed on the edge, as is the inscription E PLURIBUS UNUM and IN GOD WE TRUST.

Don.......
Source: 2009 Red Book

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mackaydon said:
The Native American $1 Coin Act calls for edge markings on the coins. The year of minting and mintmark is incursed on the edge, as is the inscription E POURIBUS UNUM and IN GOD WE TRUST.

Don.......
Source: 2009 Red Book
Correct Don-
With the passage of the Native American $1 Coin Act on September 20, 2007, the U.S. Mint began designing a series of Sacagawea dollars with modified reverses to further commemorate "Native Americans and the important contributions made by Indian tribes and individual Native Americans to the development of the United States and the history of the United States." Four designs will be minted, each for one year from 2009 to 2012. The first Native American series coin was released in January 2009 and has a reverse that depicts a Native American woman sowing seeds of the Three Sisters, symbolizing the Indian tribes' contributions to agriculture. Like the Presidential Dollar, the year of issue, mint mark, and motto E Pluribus Unum have been moved to the edge of the coin to allow more room for the design. Unlike the Presidential $1 coins from before 2009, "In God We Trust" will remain on the obverse and the vacant space on the edge lettering will be taken up by thirteen stars, symbolizing the Thirteen Colonies. The act passed by Congress requires that 20% of the total dollar coins minted in any year during the Presidential $1 Coin Program be Sacagawea dollars bearing the new design.

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some pictures as requested...

Scott

Attachments

• IM002307.JPG
    IM002307.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 350
  • IM002308.JPG
    IM002308.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 368

Top Member Reactions