How the hell does he do it??

The Jersey DEvil

Nov 29, 2009
Tri state area, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500, Fisher CZ5, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Cibola, Garret Grand Master Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ran into a similar problem too like how you did with the guy selling coins. I have a lot of vintage marbles from the 1930's in high-grade condition & I can't even sell them in 6 piece lots on eBay for $9.99. But there is a guy selling individual marbles for $200 to $300 each. WOW! Are you kidding me? I have the same marbles but no one wants to buy mine. So much like how successful that coin seller is, so too is the person selling old marbles. So what is his secret? How come he can sell them but I can't? My theory is he has a strong following with a lot of repeat buyers. I think if I got well established like that too then buyers would buy from me as well. It is just one of those mind boggling mysteries that are happenning all over the Internet - mainly in auction sites. But I'll keep trying & I'm going to start selling coins too with a Buy It Now price. But good pictures count & perhaps that is part of the selling secret to success.

mark v

Mar 10, 2006
S.W. Pa.
Detector(s) used
Deus, CTX
AU24K said:
Man, I know what you mean!
When I try to sell say a common date silver dollar, I sometimes barely get melt value.
When you find out the secret, let me know! :thumbsup:

Scott

Me to.

dunc

Apr 7, 2009
copperopolis ca.
the amount of feedback you have on ebay is huge. I see people regularly pay more for an item from someone with more feedback than someone with less. I am trying to start an ebay biz but it is too hard with the amount of feedback I have to get good prices.

alexfm123

Nov 17, 2009
Far West Texas
One thing that comes to my mind, is that the seller probably has a couple of other "disposable" ebay accounts that he uses to buy things from himself. It looks good for him, and he doesnt loose any of his money or his coins. Then, as has been mentioned, he has so much "positive" feedback, that people feel better buying from him.

Just my thoughts on this.

Alex.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see the same thing some times in the antique business. I see pieces that are grossly over priced... but sell. I assume those people believe since they are close to top book price that they are worth it. Those less priced must not be as good and wouldnt resale as well. Its all about resale and documentation.... i bought it for this thus its worth this when i sell it. Now days dont bet the farm on it. Buy it right, but know your grading and the person you are buying from. What did PT Barnum say.... there's one born every min. It confuses me in my business too since i know what im selling and try to move it rather than over price it.

Dew

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generally if listed in the right category and with good photos a coin will find it's true value on ebay. The coins pictured above are well worth the price they sold for. Of course common date circulated silver coins will go for close to melt, that is what they are worth! There is no mystery here, coins like those pictured above are in great demand to collectors in those conditions, low grade common dates are not. The book value of the capped bust half is $400 in AU50 and the one above I believe is better than that. The 1931 s buffalo nickel is valued at $150 in ms64 and $400 in ms65. I believe people are confusing run of the mill common coins with rarer high grade pieces, easy enough to do. Time spent learning grading, key dates, which coins are worth more than others, etc. is definitely time well spent.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread