1794 Large Cent found in Atlantic City

The Jersey DEvil

Nov 29, 2009
Tri state area, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500, Fisher CZ5, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Cibola, Garret Grand Master Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This past summer, my brother was searching his front lawn on RT 30 just outside of AC & he popped out one of the most amazing coins ever found in his MD'ing career. It must have been lost new as it is thick as the day it was made, has all it's details & the lettered edge is still readable.

Attached is a pic of it.

Anyway, I bought it off him for $100.00 & I sold it on eBay for $700.00. But I now regret selling it.

Attachments

• 1794LCfrt.jpg
    1794LCfrt.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 445
OP
OP
T

The Jersey DEvil

Nov 29, 2009
Tri state area, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500, Fisher CZ5, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Cibola, Garret Grand Master Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OOPS! My apology for the very large pic. Can anyone enlighten me on how to post smaller pics on this forum?

goldeagle

Jun 28, 2009
THE EAST COAST
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,EXCAL-II
that coin could be worth over 100,000.00 ? if the it had the right wreath on the back. very nice i would have kept it.imo

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it should be your brother that regrets selling it :D

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I do to reduce pics:

1) Open the image in paint.
2) Go to "image", wait for the drop down.
3) Click Stretch/Skew.
4) In the box that comes up, change the Horizontal and Vertical size under Stretch (in this case I went from 100% to 25%). Click OK.
5) Save your new file.

That coin was a great find, one I would have held on to.

edit: Welcome to T-Net.

Attachments

• 1794.JPG
    1794.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 789

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good grief wtg on the score. For me I would of kept it but hey nice find though.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, and I wouldn't part with it for either of the prices paid.

Good find though!

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
I found one just like it that made the banner last month. I sold it for 10 bucks to a guy from Australia....Just kidding. I'll never sell it. You did make a nice profit though. :thumbsup:
Chris

OP
OP
T

The Jersey DEvil

Nov 29, 2009
Tri state area, USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I shouldn't have sold that coin but I've found a lot of LC's & maybe I'll find one like it someday. At the time I needed money so I took the $700.00 & was happy with making a $600.00 profit. Afterall, it wasn't my find. However, if it was I would have kept it for sure. Anyway, the guy who bought it ended up selling it for $1500.00. So he ended up making $800.00 profit. The coin has a BV of $2K. God only knows where the coin is now but I'm sure it is in good hands.

One great thing I enjoy about the hobby is unearthing something a couple hundred years old & getting it to see the light of day again. Even though that coin is a museum piece, it is now cherished in someones collection & who knows...it may get in circulation again within the collecting comminuty & it may even get lost again. Its all the evolutionary process of a coin.

BTW, my oldest coin found this year is dated 1775 & is a King George copper. It was found near an old foundation in the woods. It was 5 inches deep well preserved in sugar sand in the pines.

At the end of the year I'll tally up all my finds, will take pics & I'm going to write an article & send it in to W&E Treasures for publication consideration. I already had several articles published in the past. One was about the 1882 five dollar gold coin I found. But that is whole other story.

HH

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Jersey DEvil said:
I shouldn't have sold that coin but I've found a lot of LC's & maybe I'll find one like it someday. At the time I needed money so I took the $700.00 & was happy with making a $600.00 profit. Afterall, it wasn't my find. However, if it was I would have kept it for sure. Anyway, the guy who bought it ended up selling it for $1500.00. So he ended up making $800.00 profit. The coin has a BV of $2K. God only knows where the coin is now but I'm sure it is in good hands.

One great thing I enjoy about the hobby is unearthing something a couple hundred years old & getting it to see the light of day again. Even though that coin is a museum piece, it is now cherished in someones collection & who knows...it may get in circulation again within the collecting comminuty & it may even get lost again. Its all the evolutionary process of a coin.

BTW, my oldest coin found this year is dated 1775 & is a King George copper. It was found near an old foundation in the woods. It was 5 inches deep well preserved in sugar sand in the pines.

At the end of the year I'll tally up all my finds, will take pics & I'm going to write an article & send it in to W&E Treasures for publication consideration. I already had several articles published in the past. One was about the 1882 five dollar gold coin I found. But that is whole other story.

HH

So how much would you need for the 1775? ;D

pinebarrens1

Dec 20, 2007
bayville nj
Detector(s) used
minelab xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RT 30 just outside of AC , has alot of history . just pick up a book of the area and see what else is missing out there .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread