Do I have a copper dime???????

drpineapple

Apr 27, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Hi all,

I may have an error dime. It is a 1996 p dime and it is mostly copper colored on the back and a little around the edge on the front. I am thinking it might be a copper dime, ie one that doesn't get fully plated. The back is 90% copper colored only some silver on the leaves on the right. I just noticed the thickness is mostly uniform but at one spot it gradually thins a bit. And it is at the thining area there is no seam along the reeded edge but for 80% of the edge there appears to be a seam. I don't remember seeing seems on edges of coins, unless they are fake. I don't have a scale to weigh it (If anyone could suggest one to buy). I've attached some pictures that are missing detail. Anyone want to give their opinions? Does anyone think it is someone who was bored and chemically tried to plate it?

Attachments

• PC070009.JPG
    PC070009.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 2,248
  • PC070008.JPG
    PC070008.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 1,867
  • PC070009.JPG
    PC070009.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,481
  • PC070008.JPG
    PC070008.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 1,397
OP
OP
drpineapple

drpineapple

Apr 27, 2009
Las Vegas, NV

Attachments

• !BhSJjsw!2k~$(KGrHqMOKikErzFdy2qsBLIZUco(bg~~_35.jpg
    !BhSJjsw!2k~$(KGrHqMOKikErzFdy2qsBLIZUco(bg~~_35.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 10,744

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle
user244075 said:
Thanks for your reply. Following is an auction for a copper dime, I don't know if it is real or not. I also included a picture from the auction. Mine looks very similar but seems a to be a lighter color which may be a negative. But as I've mentioned it also has a seam like two halves were stuck together.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Copper-Wash-Err...mQQptZCoins_US_Individual?hash=item3a55bd4eb4

Thats very interesting I would like to know more about how this occurs, I have never come across a "Copper Wash" :thumbsup:

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you mix your dimes and pennies in a rock tumbler and run it for a while, you get a similar result.

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Read this response to a similar question on the following site, true or not I don't know.

Mike
USAF Retired

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Coin-Collecting-2297/Copper-colored-dime.htm

You have what is known as an "Unfinished Planchet" or "Missing Clad Layer" error.

In the minting process, the blank planchets that coins are minted from are cut from long sheets of metal. These sheets are made of copper. One step in the process is to plate the sheets with the silvery-colored copper-nickel alloy that you see on normal coins. Sometimes the sheets do not get completely plated, either on one side or both. Then when the planchets are cut out of the sheet, they will be missing the plating on one side or both. These unfinished planchets will continue undetected, along the mechanized minting process, to the coin press, and have the design stamped into them -- giving you what looks like a normal coin, except for the copper color on one side or both.

For an illustrated explanation of the minting process, you can go to the U.S. Mint's website :

http://www.usmint.gov/faqs/circulating_coins/index.cfm?action=coins

This happens more often than you think, because with the billions of coins produced every year, it is impossible to visually inspect every coin, and the mechanical processes to sort out error coins will not detect this error.

lazooro

Sep 27, 2008
Sezana
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, TESORO TEJON
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
result of a cillit bang.

alabama

Tenderfoot
Aug 22, 2006
i got handed a 2001 D in some change mistaken as a penny. Back is completely copper. Front is completely normal for a dime.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the weight? It should be 2.27 grams.

Scott

foundinrolls

Jun 6, 2006
The stuff from the all experts site is correct but does not apply to the original poster's coin. His or Her coin is discolored from something that occurred after the coin left the mint.

jasper62

Feb 8, 2009
Georgia
Detector(s) used
BH pioneer 202 / garrett ace 250
I'll agree with foundinrolls.Post Mint Damage..It looks more of a pink color to me.I've dug a few dimes that were pink in color because of the environment it was in for an extended length of time

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
foundinrolls said:
The stuff from the all experts site is correct but does not apply to the original poster's coin. His or Her coin is discolored from something that occurred after the coin left the mint.

I agree. Looks more like it has been subjected to medium heat/fire(and quickly quenched?)
Possibly with some discoloring associated due to surface contaminants, eg. oil from people's hands, etc. that would result in chemical reactions.
My best guess...

Scott

Feb 21, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do i have a copper dime????? ALSO? ?

Hi all,

I may have an error dime. It is a 1996 p dime and it is mostly copper colored on the back and a little around the edge on the front. I am thinking it might be a copper dime, ie one that doesn't get fully plated. The back is 90% copper colored only some silver on the leaves on the right. I just noticed the thickness is mostly uniform but at one spot it gradually thins a bit. And it is at the thining area there is no seam along the reeded edge but for 80% of the edge there appears to be a seam. I don't remember seeing seems on edges of coins, unless they are fake. I don't have a scale to weigh it (If anyone could suggest one to buy). I've attached some pictures that are missing detail. Anyone want to give their opinions? Does anyone think it is someone who was bored and chemically tried to plate it?

I too also have a rose tone copper dime I'm both obverse And reverse side. The obverse side has a small patch of silver yet. The coin weighs 2.26 grams and seems to be a tad bit Slimmer than a normal dime. Can you tell me what you have found out about your dime being high of spend days and days researching but come across nothing 100% besides I know it's not Environmental as far as being in the ground. You can pass on what you found out on yours it would be greatly appreciated thank you much you can also email me your info at [email protected].

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too also have a rose tone copper dime I'm both obverse And reverse side. The obverse side has a small patch of silver yet. The coin weighs 2.26 grams and seems to be a tad bit Slimmer than a normal dime. Can you tell me what you have found out about your dime being high of spend days and days researching but come across nothing 100% besides I know it's not Environmental as far as being in the ground. You can pass on what you found out on yours it would be greatly appreciated thank you much you can also email me your info at [email protected].

Welcome to TreasureNet. You may not have noticed but the post before yours is 10 years old.

You most likely have a dime that was tumbled with copper pennies in a rock tumbler.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread