2 Kennedy Halves and 1 Dime errors?????

drpineapple

Apr 27, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I found two Kennedy halves. One is a 1994 D and the other is a 1995 D. The pictures aren't the best but if you look between the numbers of the dates on both there are marks. On the 94 between each number there are altogether three 'punch marks'. On the indentations they aren't a perfect circle the right side is straight from 11 o'clock till 4 o'clock. Also not pictured is another punch on the back on the shield a tiny bit off center of the coin to the right. I think, sure someone could do that but they would have to have a machine as it is too percise, but if they did why bother?

The 95 is the opposite in a way it only has a round protrusion between the two 9's.

The '86 p dime has a wide rim.

Can anyone tell me if all three are errors or the halves are someone 'punching' and welding something to them? Thanks.

Attachments

• PC100002 (2).JPG
    PC100002 (2).JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 428
  • PC100003.JPG
    PC100003.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 407
  • PC100004 (2).JPG
    PC100004 (2).JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 407

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle
The halves are definitely post mint, the dime is a off center strike but not enough to bring any premium. I would still hang on to the dime. Nice Finds :thumbsup:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silvereagle78 said:
The halves are definitely post mint, the dime is a off center strike but not enough to bring any premium. I would still hang on to the dime. Nice Finds :thumbsup:
I agree.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at the back of the dime. If it is centered normally, then it is a misaligned die (very common, no real premium). If the reverse is off center just the same as the front, then it is an off center strike. I am guessing that it is probably a misaligned die, I have seen many like this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread