1928 Peace Dollars - one of each

comfortablynumb

Sep 8, 2009
NW Missouri
My dad was born in 1928, and it was his family's custom to give each child a silver dollar from the year they were born. My grandfather worked a vending route, and happened to get two 1928s, and both were given to my dad. He has stored them in a felt pouch since he got them "a hundred years ago!"

I was looking through another post and saw this is a key date for the Peace silver dollar. In checking, I was surprised to find one has an 'S' mintmark, and the other is blank.

I have encouraged him to have the coins slabbed, but he doesn't really want to send them willy-nilly to a rating service. My question is what experience has others had in sending coins to be graded and slabbed? And what is the best way to conduct the transactions?

mark v

Mar 10, 2006
S.W. Pa.
Detector(s) used
Deus, CTX
I have not sent in a coin for grading myself yet. If I was going to and what I suggest you do is talk to a reputable coin dealer near you. If the dealer has been in business for a while then they are probably on top of things and would know how to help you.

I've been hunting down a 1928 Peace dollar for while now with no luck. Congratulations on a great coin.

Fr3nchy27

Mar 21, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 12-25
Go with one of the big four.(PCGS, ANACS, ICG or NGC). I have used all of them and all are great. Very customer friendly and great service. Hope this helps. All have websites that are very user friendly. They all have links to submission forms that have easy to follow instructions for sending coins in. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out!

Justin

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My experience has been that PCGS and ANACS carry the most respect with NGC not too far behind. As said, follow the online instructions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread