1953 dd lincoln Has any one ever seen one

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Yesterday was a cold snowy day so I went through my Penny's to see if I had missed anything. I was looking for key dates & errors, when I looked at a 1953 cent. Due to poor eye sight I use a magnifying glass to look at everything. As I looked at the date 1953 I noticed that the 3 was doubled, it is very noticeable yet the other numbers in the date do not look like they are doubled.

Has anyone out there seen this on a 1953, I looked all over the net but could not find another one. Sorry that I can't post a pic but my camera will not micro that fine.

OP
OP
bula

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
bula said:
Yesterday was a cold snowy day so I went through my Penny's to see if I had missed anything. I was looking for key dates & errors, when I looked at a 1953 cent. Due to poor eye sight I use a magnifying glass to look at everything. As I looked at the date 1953 I noticed that the 3 was doubled, it is very noticeable yet the other numbers in the date do not look like they are doubled.

Has anyone out there seen this on a 1953, I looked all over the net but could not find another one. Sorry that I can't post a pic but my camera will not micro that fine.
Here is a picture
IMG_0221.JPG

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen coins like that in the past. It appears most often on the 1955. I know I've read the explanation of how it happens, but don't recall the specifics. I do recall though that this type of error is not a true double die

OP
OP
bula

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
I was given a site that called the coin a deterioration die doubling. Still worth more than a penny but not a true doubling.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions